Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psychotropic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
I recently took on the duty of teaching a statistics class at the University. The IT support tech showed me how to access the university's server and run the data analysis software (SPSS) on w PC. However, I'm on a mac at home. I downloaded the Remote Desktop Connection and was able to access the server and the program, however the Remote Desktop Connection application does not provide the option menu to select the use of drives (jump drives or cd-roms) as it does on the PC version. Does anyone know of another program or any other options that will allow me to access my databases from my jump drives?

I hope this made sense, thanks for your help in advance.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I recently took on the duty of teaching a statistics class at the University. The IT support tech showed me how to access the university's server and run the data analysis software (SPSS) on w PC. However, I'm on a mac at home. I downloaded the Remote Desktop Connection and was able to access the server and the program, however the Remote Desktop Connection application does not provide the option menu to select the use of drives (jump drives or cd-roms) as it does on the PC version. Does anyone know of another program or any other options that will allow me to access my databases from my jump drives?

I hope this made sense, thanks for your help in advance.

Unfortunately, your issue is that you are wanting to work on a local file (on your jump or flash drive) while logged into a remote machine.

If you can do a file transfer from your local drive to that machine, work on the file, then transfer back the edited file, you'll be set. This is an issue to take up with yoru IT guy. If you can us VPN (most universities offer this service), then you can probably map to the drive of the machine you are Remote Desktoping into, and transfer the file back and forth.

If that sounds like greek...print it out, and show it to the IT guy at your Univ.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
You mean that you have a USB drive hooked up to your Mac that has your data on it, and you want to be able to access that data on the Windows computer that you're connecting to, right?

In Remote Desktop, go to the preferences. Select the "Drives" button, and then select "All disk drives". If you do this, anyone else who is using that Windows computer will have access to everything on your Mac while you're connected to it, so be very careful about doing this. Then, the next time you connect, you'll see the files on your Mac show up in the Windows Explorer.

Writing to a USB thumb drive is slower than writing to a standard hard drive, and doing this over a RDC session is even slower yet. I recommend copying the file off of your thumb drive onto the PC when you start and saving to the file there. When you're done, then copy the file back onto your thumb drive.

Regards,
Nadyne.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
You mean that you have a USB drive hooked up to your Mac that has your data on it, and you want to be able to access that data on the Windows computer that you're connecting to, right?

In Remote Desktop, go to the preferences. Select the "Drives" button, and then select "All disk drives". If you do this, anyone else who is using that Windows computer will have access to everything on your Mac while you're connected to it, so be very careful about doing this. Then, the next time you connect, you'll see the files on your Mac show up in the Windows Explorer.

Writing to a USB thumb drive is slower than writing to a standard hard drive, and doing this over a RDC session is even slower yet. I recommend copying the file off of your thumb drive onto the PC when you start and saving to the file there. When you're done, then copy the file back onto your thumb drive.

Regards,
Nadyne.

I learned something new today. thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.