PLEASE HELP! Wont boot up after i installed the apple update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pilotkid, Mar 13, 2007.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I dont know what happed, The apple software update came on and i just clicked install like i always do. It installed a iphoto update and a OSX update. There was a error on the OSX update and after that my macbook was really really slow so i restarted it. Since then when i turn it on it doest get past the gray screen with the apple logo on it and that spinning thing under it. I left if for 15mins and it was still there and it got REALLY HOT! so i ended up having to hold down the power button to get it to turn back off. I have let it cool and tried 3 times since and the same thing happens. Whats wrong with it what can i do? I tried to call apple cause i have apple care but its closed! HELP ME PLEASE:confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you hold SHIFT at startup, can you get into Safe Mode? :)

3. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

No that didnt work either. I just comes up with the grey screen with the apple logo with that thing spinning under it!

4. Mooey macrumors regular

5. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, Now i have just added another problem though. I got my apple care out and put in the cd with it cause it said it was some kind of thing to trouble shoot and now i cant get the cd out. Any ideas how to get it out? ahhhhh, what a night!

6. Mooey macrumors regular

lol, I forgot how to get it out. Lemme reboot my mac and see what works. After that, you're on your own until later today:p

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try rebooting with the mouse button (or trackpad button) pressed. :)

8. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got the cd to come out. I held down the mouse while i restarted it. Now i'm going to try the steps in that link above. Thank you both very much. I'll let you know what happens

9. Mooey macrumors regular

Alright, no problem, bro. Glad to help anyone out:)

I'll check sometime tomorrow as to how your situation went.

10. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm currently repairing the disk, then after that I'm going to repair disk permissions two times (In the link above it says do it a couple times?)

11. Mooey macrumors regular

lol, that didn't hit me until I tried every command in the book.

12. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

That didnt work for me so now i'm on option two. After that i will just redo it like it came in the box but there goes about a thousand dollars worth of music and 1500 pics of family/friends/vacations/flying trips:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I hope option two works!:confused:

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How did you repair the disk? What error did it give when it didn't work? :)

14. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what i've beenn following...http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=287303

I did option 1 first. Thats where i repaired the disk and permissions. I didnt get a error message, but when i restarted my macbook it just sat there again for 8mins on that grey screen and that thing spinning under it. So i turned it back off(held down the power button) and started with option 2 and its currently 56% complete.

15. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mad Jew and Mooey IT WORKED! I am typing to you on my macbook, thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it! Now i'm going to back up my music and pics. Oh Wait i do have one more question,lol. OK so now that i did all this i think i have OSX on here twice(does that sound right) cause my free hard drive space went down to24.86 gb free from about 37 free before i started all this. So how do i fix this?:D :D :D :D :D
    Thanks again, I owe you guys!

16. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually i now see a folder titles "Previous Systems" Can i just trash that?

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

18. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks again! Should I try and do all the software updates again? The version of OSX that i'm running now is 10.4.6

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe just go to 10.4.8, assuming you had no troubles with it... Lay off 10.4.9 for a while, and keep everything backed up. :)

20. Mooey macrumors regular

Alright! Glad that it worked. I went ahead and updated to 10.4.9 (I need the volume increase as I watch DVDs constantly). I'm glad I could help ya, man.

Take it easy:)

21. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did back everything up to my ipod(I dont currently have a external hard drive, I might get one after this,lol) and after that was done i did all the software update except 10.4.9 and then after alllll those were installed i went ahead and sucked it up and downloaded and installed 10.4.9 and its working great. Thanks to both of you that helped me all night. Have a great day!:D :) :D :apple: