Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Okay I installed YDL 3.0 on my second hard disk last night. I chose only to use the drive on my MDD DP 1ghz's ATA66 bus. THis was definately the right drive because it was quoted as being around 80gigs in size whereas my main boot disk is 120 gigs. The install went swiftly and easily, I checked the partition tabels, and it was set to leave the HFS+ partition on the second drive intact and create new partitions for linux. So, when I restarted to boot linux, it went straight to booting the main OS X drive with the big grey apple logo. After about o minute of the spinning thing wiht the apple logo it chages to a big no entry sign, with the spinning thing still going.

I've reinstalled OS X on the linux drive, ( which BTW does not work at all as a linux installation, well done YDL,) Started UP, and my other drive does not mount. This drive has all my files, 40gb of songs all my programs, all my music work over the years, thats why I told the Linux installer to specifically leave the drive alone. I think its still there however, because it does try to start up on it, and it can start up half way in single user mode, but it gets stuck after about 20 lines have appeared on the screen. I can only guess that linux screwed up something on the disk but I feel all the data is still there!

So waht can I do? I don't give a damn abou getting linux back, I just want my data back! I know I should have backed up, but I used this drive as a backup for the drive I was installing linux on, thats why i didn't Use it for installation. One thing to note, journalling was enabled in this drive. AN dI had just installed 10.2.6 before trying out the linux installer.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Thanks, I found that one. I'm about to try it, although I actually failed to install linux but I ofund that I had corrupted KDE something on the CD so I've managed to get it working with Gnome and not installing KDE so the installer finishes properly.

Hopefully it will work.

(PS, typing this from Mozilla in YDL 3.0)

It Worked, thank god for that.

The problem I was having was that "kde-artwork" package returned an error during installation. This caused the installer to quite and I thought the install was done, but it wouldn't boot, and because it left me with no booting drive I was completely screwed. Had the linux install worked I would have been able to use it to Fix the problem straight away without reinstalling mac os x on another drive then installing linux about four times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.