please help!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by fitzg2md05, Jul 22, 2002.

1. fitzg2md05 macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2002
    very simple. Can someone tell me how to rebuild the desktop in os 9.1? What key strokes do you do, etc. Thanks alot. I cant seem to find it anywhere...doesnt help that i lost my manual somewheere. All this divx movie validating (aka, copying and deleting from HD has my HD screwed up). Thanks in advance
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Hold Command-Option before the drive icons appear on the screen.

Either after the majority of the icons have gone across the screen of after logging in.

edited - sorry used to turning off extensions at the same time
  3. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    hold down command and option all the way through start-up. A side note: on any machine with a floppy drive, you can rebuild the desktop file of a floppy disk by quitting a program on that disk, while using the key combo.
  4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    Actually, you only need to hold down the Apple+option keys at the end of the startup sequence. If you have ATM, then as soon as you see that extension load, hold down the keys. If you don't have ATM, then watch and see which extension is the last to load, and then hold down the keys.
  5. fitzg2md05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2002

thanks alot guys. ok, well while im at it, let me ask if anyone knows this. Downloaded the installer to quicktime 6 for system 9, and when it connects and downloads, and tries to install, it says that the drive needs to have a system folder in order to instal quicktime into. This is my one and only HD, and obviously has the sytem folder. Anyone else have this prob? Thanks again guys.
  6. fitzg2md05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2002

alright nevermind...figured it out myself. Quicktime instals sound manager along with quicktime software. When I installed 6 public preview... i never remover the bogus sound manager before installing the final quicktime 6. Serves me right for downloading a "public preview" AKA beta. Sorry, im a dumbass.
  7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Here's a fun one:

Press command + option + escape to force quit Finder in OS 9 and then immediately hold down command + option...voila...rebuild the desktop without rebooting!

Not especially useful, but fun nevertheless...especially when the machine is taunting you...kinda like zapping the PRAM 4 or 5 times in a row...ahhh, the chime sounds nice...

I'm glad that OS X has done away with most of those problems.:D
  8. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan

Chime sounds are awsome! I like the Power Mac Crash sound "eeeerrrr... (tires skidding) BOOM!" HAHAHAHAHAHA! i herd all of them exept for the Crash sound that sounds like "The Twilight Zone" Does anyone have it! I want it! Wait does it exist?:(