PLEASE, HELP!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Joeytpg, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Guys....i need to know which is better to play games such as "L.O.T.R. Return Of The King", "Return To Castle Wolfenstein" and "Unreal T. 2004"

a JOYSTICK (the one with the stick, used to play flying simulation games), or a Controller, as the ones that comes with PS2 or Xbox.

i know a lot of people have said KEYBOARD and MOUSE, but i hate to play with K.B. and mouse.....so i'm getting a controller/joystick anyways.

But i need to know which one of the two is better for this type of games, because a friend is selling me his Logitech Attac 3 Joystick (flying simulation type joystick), and i want to know if it's worth it, or just buy a controller same as the PS2 and xbox type.

PLEASE i need help on this

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'd say that the controller is better than the joystick, though a KB/M is more accurate for first person shooters.

3. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well a controller is best if you don't want the keyboard and mouse. But seriously, give and keyboard and mouse a try. It indeed has a weird feeling at first but it is just better.

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

It will take about 2 hours to get used to aiming with a k.b. and mouse on a first person shooter. Other games can be used with either. I'm used to playing with a controller because i basically only play xbox if i wanna game. But i used to play Ghost Recon a lot, and I was pretty fast with a keyboard and mouse. Try out both.

5. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I thought that I would hate a keyboard and mouse. I cringed at the idea of even trying it. Once I did, it was over. I will never use a joystick for first person shooters. (and some other games too)

Just try it and stick to it for a few hours. You may surprise yourself.

6. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Well it must be pretty good to play with M. and K. i'll give it a try! :)

but the thing about mouse and Keyboard is that i'll always have it there, buy i have to decide on the Joystick this week because he's living out of town and i need to know if i should buy the Joystick or the controller. Anyways, like i said....i'll be getting L.O.T.R. Return of the kings and Return to castle W. but i play to get other games and i want to know which one's better as a gaming controller (joystick or Controlles - PS2, XBOX etc.) ????

7. applekid macrumors 68020

The PS2 controller design is supposedly the "best" according to "experts." There was some of article out there about it. But, whatever, right? ;)

First person shooters should only be played with a mouse and keyboard on the Mac or you're just asking to get beaten online.

LoTR might be okay with a controller though.

But, any controllers like the PS2's button layout it pretty good. There's also some sort of adapter at Lik-Sang.com for using a real PS2 adapter. I think it's even Mac compatible. The X-Box controllers has a similar adapter as well that is Mac compatible, I think.

8. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

So you suggest me NOT to buy the Flying simulation joystick from my friend, and instead, just buy a controller (PS2 button display type) and use the mouse and keyboard too. ??

9. benpatient macrumors 68000

no offense to your friend, but crap no, you don't want to buy his flight stick.

you'll get slaughtered by the Bots in UT, not to mention how badly you'd be handicapped if you were on a multiplayer server.

take the best counterstrike gamer on the planet.

make him use a flight stick when you and every one of your not-very-good gamer friends use m/kb

pwn him without mercy.

10. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

ok then, i WON'T buy the Flying Stick Joystick from my friend. But really want a Controller. Can anyone suggest me a Good (not too expensive) controller??

11. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I have a MacAlley iShock. It sucks. From what I've heard, the sequel sucks just as much.

Maybe the Logitech Wingman is better... not sure.

I've heard of using a certain adapter that connects to a PS2 or super NES controllr and works well with Macs. Maybe some one can chime in on this product.

12. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I have a Logitech Wingman Rumble. I like it a lot, and would recommend it over most gamepads. I did a lot of research while before buying it (as I do with everything), and don't have any complaints. Saitek now has a comparable gamepad, but I don't know if it's mac compatible. I did have a Saitek joystick which I liked alot, but it uses a gameport, which is now extinct.

I can't get use to keyboard and mouse. As someone said on this forum before, "These are the thumbs that Mario built." I'd rather have all the controls at my thumbs and index fingers than 'somewhere' on the keyboard (W + ctrl + D + space = hard). Also, the analog sticks on the gamepad make playing flight sims and racing games MUCH easier. I also prefer them when playing FPS than KB&M.
    The Wingman has at least 24 configurable buttons (12 or 16 plus a shift button), two analog sticks and a throttle control. Doesn't get much better than that!

I personally don't like the PS2 controller much because the analog sticks are too sensitive to make minor adjustments. Also, differentiating R1 and R2 can be difficult on the fly. Otherwise, I like the pressure sensitive buttons.

The only reason you should get a joystick is to play flight sims, and maybe mech and racing sims.

Get the Wingman, or look into the Saitek gamepad.

13. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

thanks a lot man! :D i won't buy the joystick, and i'll look up for one of this.. :D

i feel the same as you..........Keyboard and mouse is just so difficult....i hate it......i mean.....there are two many things to remember and......it's ok for a while, but not if i want to ENJOY a game!

14. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Perhaps you should think about a Belkin SpeedPad (I think that’s the name). You use it instead of the keyboard, so you can be faster and can remember the right keys more easily.

15. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Yeah, It's all about the Belkin Nostromo n52. That's right. Check pricegrabber and get one for $20 USD.

16. Toreador93 macrumors regular

The Wingman I have doesn't seem to be in production any more. They have a wireless version, but if you want the USB, try Amazon . I bought mine on eBay, and it works perfectly. You can check this Saitek gamepad out, but I'm not sure if it's Mac compatible.

The Belkin looks interesting. I'd definitely try that before using a keyboard.