Please. It's just tooo long

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by BakedBeans, Apr 14, 2006.

1. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

It's out of control, It takes ages to find anything including your own posts. and browsing for specific things takes forever!

I am of course referring to the "post your mac set-up" thread. A lot of the links are now broken. It is just getting to long and too old!

Can we please please please close it and start A) another one or b (the best option) a Powermac Pics | Powerbook pic (already one) | iMac Pics threads.

It's really hard to browse as it is.

Please consider this deities

2. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I think having individual threads would just get confusing. Also, I presume you are looking for your own post to put an updated picture in it. Wouldn't it be better to make a new post instead? If a post on page 4 of 16 is edited, I don't think anyone is going to notice...

3. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

yeah, because searching through 150 posts for that set-up i wanted to see again isnt more confusing than going to an appropriately named thread.

if you are looking for a powerbook..guess which thread you go too?:rolleyes:

Nice presumption, but no, i am not looking to update my post, i know many people are frustrated with that thread (in general viewing terms) as many users like to view the set-up thread, its just to big and old to mount. Not everyone wants to just look at the new posts - they like to go through the thread.

This problem has been dealt with the same way on other forums - why not this one? its a logical move. What is it going to be like otherwise? 2501 pages long and having to spend an hour tracking down a set-up you wanted to see?

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i agree its getting out of hand

but its always fun to see new pictures of people set-ups

i think the individual threads sound nice

5. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Yeah, i fully agree! I love seeing new set-ups and going through the thread to see set-ups, it is just getting to long ad old to do that well,.

Its for the goodness of set-up viewing!

IDEA: on the first post of each of the individual thread you can put a link to the old "past and present" thread.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I've kinda given up on that thread, along with the Monthly Desktops threads. However, I don't think truncating everything into specific threads would help. There are a lot of set ups with more than one type of system in them.

Maybe we could limit that thread to pictures. Each post must have a picture. No idea how that'd be implemented though. :eek:

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sorry, perhaps it's because I'm up late (again), but I'm confused.

If you want to remember a certain desktop post, you can bookmark that page. If not, and you have to go hunting, how would looking through multiple threads over a given time span differ from looking through a single longer thread over the same time span? And if links are broken, won't old pages in fact render faster?

I'm not for or against the idea, just not sure how it helps.

8. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

It helps by

1) shortening the insurmountable amount of pages
    2) it tells you exactly the type of machine that is in the thread (say if you are only interested in powermacs - go to the powermac thread)
    3) people love looking through tha thread on a boring sunday (or day at work) because looking at people set-ups is cool, its to difficult with all the dead links and pages after pages - so it is segregated, that helps
    4) new members of the forum - i bet that is a great task to look through those set ups.
    5) many people are looking for something specific (fueled by a purchase) maybe an imac with a dell 2405 to see how it would fit next to each other (or any combination of things) - searching through 160 pages is... not worth it - segregating makes it much more efficient.

i posted my new set-up a week ago - its now 6/7 pages back. just the same as everyones. segregating will make the threads slow down.

at the end of hte day having them separated has lots of benefits. As dedicated Macheads, we love hardware right? I think it makes it much easier orginise it instead of trying to find the king or hearts in a shuffled deck.

9. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I can see your point - I hate wading through monster threads too, but like mad jew pointed out, what would happen with setups with multiple systems (for example, I have both an iMac and a PowerMac in mine). Would I post the same picture in both the PowerMac and iMac threads?

Not trying to be negative, just trying to see how it would work.

10. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Erm, yeah - it would only normally be a laptop as the second comp anyway - not "that" many people would do it - but a post in the both threads would be no big deal. it wouldnt bring the "system" down.

11. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Seems like a sensible suggestion. This works well on MacNN for example.. go for it.

12. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I think the best idea stated here is that any post made should have a picture. Not just 400 posts saying NICE SETUP, IT's L337. Really wastes space.

13. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Well, that sort of kills a lot of the usefullness of the thread. How do you find out "What's that red thing to the left of your mouse" or "Where did you get that chair?" PMs? If I post a photo, I don't want to then have to answer dozens PMs with the same question.

More helpful would be a MacRumors Setup Photo Gallery. Maybe a Flickr account where the photos are archived with username and post number. (No I'm not volunteering.)

14. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

170 pages nearly... The thread is getting ridiculous.

can we PLEASE do something?

15. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Perhaps splitting it up into months like the desktop threads. They'll still be large threads, but perhaps a little less huge.

16. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

It would help, although not be as orginised.

17. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Very true. What if something like the MR Member Pics gallery was set up to make it easier to find individual member's setups. This would probably cause a lot more work, so it probably isn't that great an idea.

18. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Yeah, too much work.

We should just make threads like i suggested like.. ages ago :p

19. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I like the thread...no objection to a new one though....and we don't need new once....we have PB, PM, iMac, eMac, Mac mini, iBook threads already ;)

20. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

I think the threads for different computer models sounds very logical.... any thread over 20 pages totally loses any of my attention.
    Maybe people could post in the thread that their best computer fits into?
    Like, someone with a Powermac and an iBook would post in the Powermac thread??
    That make sense? :confused:
    I think that the separate threads are a wonderful idea.

21. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

we are talking well over 4 thousand posts here! However, I think if the Mods where likely to do anyhing, they would have done it by now.

To be honest it is only starting a couple of new threads (and closing the other one and putting hte links to te new threads)

but... meh

22. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Yes the thread is overly long but why the fascist powermac pics? What's wrong with a post your emac set up thread? well. huh, riddle me this.

23. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

I'm actually on an emac right now :)

in between imac sale and powermac arrival

24. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I pity you I really do. :)

25. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

you could have a "Apple dont sell it anymore, but I still own it" thread, need to work on the name though... "ADSIA BISOI" ?