Please kill me.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by eljefe, Sep 5, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

I've got new iPod blues. I need to vent.

My iPod was stolen about six months ago. Although I had used it every day, and although I can afford it, my wife forbade me to buy another one, because she thought it was a waste of money. I figured, fine, I'll wait until the new models come out, and then we'll rediscuss whether I'm "allowed" to have an iPod.

Today is my wedding anniversary. Today is also when Apple unveils the new iPods.

This morning, as I got ready to go to work, my wife handed me... an iPod. Which will be obsolete in about three hours. Which she had engraved, so I can't return it. I smiled, said I loved it, cooed and ahhed - while I died on the inside. Go ahead, call me ungrateful. I AM!

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to love my iPod. It's just that I'm going to follow today's proceedings feeling slightly nauseated.

2. macrumors Core

You're wife bought you an iPod and you're whinging?

Nice...:rolleyes:

3. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

You ungrateful *%@%$£@*&!!?!!!

Seriously?!

:D

4. macrumors regular

invasian

Ouch...sorry to hear that...at least know that you have someone who cares about you in such a thoughtful manner...

on the other hand, she needed to do her homework!!!

5. macrumors G4

Every one of us will have obsolete models this evening anyway. The wife obviously loves you dearly to know what you really wanted. Give her a big kiss and cuddle, and treasure what she's bought you.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes!!! Exactly. I'm whining.

I'm like a kid on Christmas morning who got an expensive toy that wasn't exactly what I wanted, and I'm whining about it. I'm well aware of that.

I'm whining because my wife bought me an iPod (using my money, mind you) on the DAY the new ones come out.

I already told you, I know I'm ungrateful. Flame on. I'll just whine louder!

7. macrumors 601

ftaok

Maybe you can hope the new iPods will suck. At least you'll know that you have the better iPod.

But just to rub it in, when has Apple put out a newer iPod that was worse than the one it was replacing?

Looks like you'll just have to suffer with the gift iPod. Sorry.

8. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

D-I-V-O-R-C-E :D

Seriously, what a great wife! Love her, love your iPod, love life ;)

9. macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Which would you treasure more? The 6G iPod, or the 5.5G given with love on a special day?

Think about it, as the answer will tell us a lot about yourself.

10. macrumors Core

iBlue

Did she know there might be new ones today? (I'm betting not)

You are indeed an ungrateful git, but on general principle I can sort of understand the frustration. Don't let her know you feel that way though, OK? If we all think you're being a twunt about it, she definitely will.

Fact remains, you got a working iPod, which you wanted, even if it isn't the newest thing.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't get me wrong... I kissed her, hugged her, told her I loved her. Which I do. I said I loved the iPod, and that it was a fantastic present. Which it is. Told her I will use it every day. Which I will.

I just died a little on the inside, and I had to let my feelings out somewhere - preferably where it wouldn't get back to her. After today's gift, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume she doesn't frequent the MacRumors forums. :D

12. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My girlfriend got me a movie I really love as a present once, in fullscreen. I sort of sympathize. I actually, embarrassingly, tried to be George Costanza about it, quietly order a widescreen copy off Amazon used, and get rid of the FS one. Of course, the widescreen copy I order off Amazon comes FS also.

So I return it, and later confess the whole embarrassing story to my lovey.... and live happily with my FS copy...

Love before iPods.... sad to say. Love before almost anything. Sorry.

13. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm not that worried about impending upgrades – my 3G iPod has been made 'obsolete' quite a few times over the past years but, strangely enough, it still plays music exactly the same and works exactly as well as when I first bought it. :confused:

14. macrumors member

Yeah I know what you mean but she probably already ordered you one when you started asking for a new one so that might be why she said no! You can accept the 5.5 ipod or do something to it within it's warranty and see if they will bump you into the new ipod. Thou I wouldn't recommend doing that since it would be a crap shot.

15. macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Your iPod is the least of your problems. What you really need, in order, is:

1) A backbone
    2) A divorce lawyer
    3) A Zune

Did you ever "forbid" your wife to buy anything that she really wanted, and you could afford? Probably not. Then what gives her the idea that she can "forbid" you to buy something that you really want? This is a power play on her part to see if you value her conditional love over your toys. And now after denying you happiness for so long, giving you a new iPod -- today of all days -- is tantamount to emotional torture. These are all symptoms of a deeply troubled marriage. This is way, way past the counselling phase. Call your lawyer. She'll probably demand the new iPod back in the divorce settlement anyway. In fact you'll probably end up smashing it to pieces with a brick so neither one of you can have it. Then in two years when your $600,000 divorce is finally settled, you'll be so emotionally wrecked that you won't be able to stand the idea of ever owning another iPod, so you'll buy the first brown Zune you can find on eBay. Been there, done that, and my Zune has never sounded to sweet. :D

16. macrumors 6502a

It seems like you should have communicated your desires to get one of the new iPods when you first thought about it. By not letting her know your plans, you put yourself in a bit of a bind.

17. macrumors Core

you do realize she didn't and couldn't have bought it today since its engraved right?
    be happy that you got a thoughtful gift, and a loving wife.

18. macrumors 68000

You sound ungrateful.

19. thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thank you for your insightful post. This will all end badly - that much is clear to me now.

Perhaps I'll tuck the divorce papers into the bouquet I hand her tonight.

20. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

Yes, bittersweet moment it is.

This is exactly why I have forbidden my family and significant other from buying me anything technology wise. Buy me clothes, buy me food, buy me whatever, but please, please don't buy me anything technological. My tastes are much too fickle to be pleased.

On the OTHER hand, your wife forbade you to buy an iPod with YOUR money? Obviously she's been planning on buying you one for a while, but damn. Put your foot down, dude. I hate it when people buy me "replacement" gifts.

21. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I think I will wait a tasteful amount of time and issue a similar edict: do not buy me gadget gifts. I keep up with the technology, and she doesn't, so there's no way she'll get the right thing.

What's frustrating is that she decided that something that expensive should be a group decision, made by the both of us. So really, she should have told me anyway. I suppose that would have spoiled the surprise.

You know, I thought about putting my foot down when I originally wanted to replace my iPod... but even six months ago, it seemed like a bad time to buy a new iPod. I figured I'd bide my time, wait until the new ones came out, and THEN I'd put my foot down and buy one. Which makes the timing of the gift all the more painful.

And to everybody who keeps calling me ungrateful... I KNOW. I should have made that the title of my thread: "The whining of an ungrateful bastard." I'm not saying I'm RIGHT. But if you have even a tiny bit of Mac-Lust in your blood, you should at least be able to understand me just a little. I'd been waiting for SIX MONTHS for the new iPod, scouring the boards, following the rumors... and the day it comes out, the rug gets pulled out from under me.

Gotta go, divorce attorney calling.

22. macrumors newbie

My 3G died after being played all day in early May (derby day I think). Now that the new ones are about to be released, my wife is allowing me to purchase a refurb 5.5 IF the price drops.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Don't complain. If you got a 6G, that would get stolen, too! ;)

23. macrumors newbie

What was the engraving?

24. thread starter macrumors newbie

"I bought this pre-historic iPod because I hate you."

That was the subtext, anyway.

25. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Funny how women are the only ones allowed to break their own rules...

My gf and I just made a rule...anything over $200 is discussed, I get to choose the techie stuff and she gets to decide on just about everything else. Buying a replacement is okay, as long as you don't have similar devices already (i.e. no buying a new shuffle for myself if mine broke, as I have a nano as well).

Your wife tried extremely hard to get you a good gift and she should be commended at least for that.