Please Listen to and Critique My First Podcast

Discussion in 'iPod' started by newportnews, Nov 14, 2005.

1. newportnews macrumors newbie

Any praise and productive criticism would be appreciated.

http://homepage.mac.com/mjmalkin/podcast.xml

Show Description:

3 Topics, 1 Common Thread.

The show where three seemingly unrelated topics are presented, and the audience must attempt to figure out the singular thread that combines the topics.

With topics ranging from movies to music, sports to television, and from current events to politics.

Common Threads has a little something for everyone.

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

And your mother smells of elderberries!

(Sorry, it's my standard response when people ask for criticism.)

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

First of all, great podcast:

Technically:
    Very nice intro music. Make this your standard and use it every time. It is a very smooth lead in to your voice, the dry, synthy drum track works very well.

Sound quality is good and probably good enough. However, that still doesn't mean in couldn't improve. It really depends how much effort/money you are willing to put in. How serious is this for you? I'm guessing you don't have a recording studio, but a carpeted room with furniture and some stuff on the walls should work fine. What kind of mic are you using?

Content:
    Your delivery sounded quite good overall, pretty relaxed, you knew what you wanted to say, and you said it. Don't be afraid to relax and take a breath every now and then, your audience won't even realize. Its natural to pause and get your words straight from time to time (not that you had trouble with this).

Keep the structure/organization consistent in each show, it was very good.

I won't talk about whether I agree/disagree with your points, its not important. You did a good job of talking about what you know, be sure to stick to that rule. Also try and state the entire story objectively and then give your subjective commentary. You will sound more authoritative.

You asked for a critique and I gave you one. Its pretty easy for me to play monday morning qb, and you did a better job than I could have done, so keep that in mind when reading the above.

Oh yeah, "only talented Beatle"....zing! haha. Keep it up.

4. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

The material and organization was great. It sounded a little tinny to me. You may want to experiment with your audio set-up to over come this. It's not on the music, just on your vocal mic. Beware of violating copyright issues with the Michael Jackson / Paul McCartney song. They'll come to get ya.

5. newportnews thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

The only big complaint would be the sound quality - you manage to discuss your topics with feeling, avoiding a flat monotone. Fix the audio quality and you will come across as MUCH more professional.

Oh, and just a minor point: at one point you stumble on some words, and then you do a no no: you stop and apologize ("sorry..") - don't do this. Just recover and get back to your podcast.

All in all, very nice, although I've never really listened to any Podcasts before (anyone have any they'd suggest for me?) :)