Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
I tried searching the FAQs and forums first, but had no luck. I'm just trying to find out HOW to make MP3 files. I have an imac G4, with a Superdrive, using Jaguar.

I just want to know how to do it.
I put a CD in the drive...and then..?

I'm sorry. The answer is probably here somewhere, but I just couldn't find it.

Thank you. :)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Put the CD in, open iTunes, select the CD in the source menu (right hand side of the iTunes window), and click Import in the upper right hand corner of the iTunes window.

I think by default, iTunes will import to AAC rather than MP3. If that's okay with you, no worries, if not, go into the iTunes preferences and change it from 128kbps AAC to 160kbps MP3.

Hope this helps!

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
Thanks!
Well, what I want to do, eventually, is host them and then post them on a personal website. (These are not commercially released songs-no copyright infringement.)

It is my understanding that they have to be MP3 to do that. (I know about midi, but those files would be too small.)

stoid

macrumors 601
ThatGirl said:
Thanks!
Well, what I want to do, eventually, is host them and then post them on a personal website. (These are not commercially released songs-no copyright infringement.)

It is my understanding that they have to be MP3 to do that. (I know about midi, but those files would be too small.)

The reason that most sites use mp3 or wav over wma or aac is because most browsers have plug-ins that allow playing mp3 or wav from within the browser, where as an aac or wma file is likely to have to be downloaded (or in the case of wma, open a wmp stream.)

Maybe you already realize this, but I want to make sure you aren't confused about these formats.

MIDI is nothing like mp3/wav/aiff/wma/aac type formats. It's a musical notation data file, essentially noting more than sheet music that the computer has virtual (and fairly unrealistic) instruments that 'perform' the track. Also MIDI has no vocal section for lyrics, so it could only be instrumental. It is easy to convert from MIDI to mp3 et al. because the computer 'performs' the track into a regular audio file. However, there is no way to pull the notes back out of an mp3 (standard audio) file.

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
Thanks for all the responses.

Yes, midi is not what I am looking for. I was hoping to be able to make them into MP3s, because they can be played within the browser, as you said.

I'll see if I can figure it out just by going to the Preferences in iTunes.
Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.