Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chortytke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
OK have done a lot of research on the Intel macs, I do Multimedia projects so processing after effects, FCP HD, and Adobe products and so on is important!! I need a new computer soon and ultimatley want a powerful desktop but here are my options: MBP but dont know if that is a safe route for editing (especially estimated year or more for UB), PowerPC Qaud G5 of course will be enough but will it last a good 2 to 3 years before I need to transition to Intel Based, or buy a cheaper Intel Mac Mini (upgraded) or Intel Imac.
Intel flaws:
Test have shown slow processing time for non Universal Apps especially Adobe even slower than previous models in some cases.
Universal Apps from companies wont be ready for a good year!
still kinks with the first generations of Intel!!
Question: whats the difference between current native Mac based Apps and with the new Intel chips they are the same Apps so whats the perk, will they process faster??????
I dont necessarily have enough money to buy now than sell and buy in a year for the new intel so with that in mind should I buy qaud G5 now and wait for Second generation Intel Desktops because the first will have the same problems which will be released no later than the end of the year???????

PLease consider all above because people in forums have gone both ways, THANKS!!

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Well ,you have a lot of questions in there so I'm going to try to answer it as best as I can. As far as being future proof, an Intel is the way to go. PowerPC is being phased out of the lineup and being replaced by Intel. Basically, it's newer technology. All of your PowerPC apps would run under an emulator called Rosetta and they will run considerably slower. For most important apps like Adobe and Microsoft Office, this is only temporary. These apps are currently being ported over.

The only circumstances under which I would recommend a PowerPC machine, a PowerMac G5, would be if you need a computer right now that can do fast, seamless editing. Otherwise just go Intel and wait till the new software comes out. IMO it's the way to go.

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Well at the moment there is no system available faster than the Quad G5. If you need to do work now, and need the power then there is no debate. Get the Quad. I see you rely heavily on Adobe apps, which won't be UB till possibly early next year. This is only the suite as no timeline has been announced for Adobe After Effects and Adobe's latest photo app was made a PPC app. So for you it seems that going PPC will be even better. It should last 2-3 years. This fall the Intel PM should be released, but the projections of those systems is that they at best might just equal the quad. Next year eventually there will be a G5 Quad killer, however your system will be more than enough power already and you would have been using it for a year. Yes Intel is the future, but when you need to work waiting can make you less productive. All computer depreciate from the moment they hit the market anyway. I suggest at this moment to get a Quad. All apps will run and it's a killer machine.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
In your shoes, i'd get the G5 PM. Its the best machine to run Adobe stuff and FCP NOW, and I reckon it'll still be supported by in two or three years time. 68k machines were supported for a good while after Apple stop using them.

I'm not sure there is a UB of FCP at the moment, and a UB of Adobe stuff wont happen for a while, and it'll be slowwwww under rosetta.

musicalmcs8706

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
I'd say go with the Quads

If you rely heavily on those apps that haven't been released in Universal Binary, then I say go with the Quad. It's a great computer that will last for at least 2-3 years. And by then everything should be out on Universal Binary so it won't be a problem.

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Go with the Quad for sure. You also have to realize that Apple's have a good resale value pretty much at any time, so when you're ready for a new Intel you can resell it for a good deal. I'd realisitically look at a good 4-5 years out of it. Apple promised PPC binaries for five years, and a quad will definitely carry you long enough to reevaluate and get a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.