Please pass the ion.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Jul 8, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

OK, I've been geeking out on sci crap and here is another. It is a diversion from the other forums, one of which drives me nutz. So here goes another one for your digestion.

Link
    A real question, and by the way the link has lots more, is if you parts get lost out there, can someone google you back together?
    Teleporting the light beam is old news, just thought this was an interesting article.

2. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Does this process actually send molecules or just information about the molecules? If it is just information, wouldn't you have to have a stockpile of atoms at the other end to build with? That would be alot of materials to transport via convential methods to the teleportation sight. I would hate to be the last person transported when the assembler ran out of hydrogen. And then there are software bugs to worry about. Yikes.

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

don't worry, it will run on longhorn.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

:D

But you're assuming Longhorn will be released by then...

stu - interesting stuff. Thanks for the link!

5. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Hmm, I wonder if the teleported version would still be you? It would be an exact copy to be sure, but really, your entire body would be completely disintegrated and then re-assembled on the other end. If all the brain atoms weren't in exactly the right place, you might not remember your own name. You could be a vegetable. Or, if you believe in souls, would yours go with you? Or would you be an empty body that had to forge a new identity?

And if you could really sort through all these atoms and put them back in the proper place again, then why not have the toxins filtered out? Why not insert new calcium ions directly into your bones to cure your osteoporosis? You could eliminate the need for abortion by instantaneously removing an embryo from one woman and putting it in another. Or apply medication to the exact location in the body at a much smaller dose.

It seems to me that a teleportation technology would be revolutionary way, way before it was precise enough to teleport a full human. Even if full human transfer never happened, it would be the greatest invention of all time.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

The new FedEx. ;)

7. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Whatever. They'd still ship it to the wrong address.

8. lalcan macrumors regular

Some -long- time ago, the photocopiers generated similar doubts, but so far noone has been able to create another original of the Giocconda, etc. If we get used to be a copy of the original self, well, what keeps us from ... mmmh, hold it, Scotty is on the line.

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yes, and if it just transmits information, does the original need to be destroyed? Could you create two of more copies on the other side? Instant cloning, and without all the mucking about with stem cells, lol!

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Anyone else thinking of the replicators from ST? :D

11. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Indeed, you could "copy" everything and each copy would be an original. People, food, the planet, money.

12. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I seem to recall an old sci-fi story about replicating humans. Chaos ensued because each clone insisted that it was the original. And since they were identical in every way, it soon became impossible to tell who the original was.

13. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Yes

A cup of Earl Grey, hot.