Please please help me!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ddk121, Apr 23, 2006.

1. ddk121 macrumors 6502

Hey!
    I am new to mac's, and need a little help.
    I have downloaded google earth, but I now would like to delete this. How do I delete applications?
    Help appreciated!

2. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Drag the application icon to the trash and empty the trash.

3. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thankyou! One more question, If i dowload a file, a new file appears on the desktop. Can I delete that file\?

4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

If you're done with it, sure. But I have a feeling you're talking about something that's not quite downloading. Can you be more specific?

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The simplicity and ease of use of Mac OS in action. :)

6. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

If you mean the mounted .dmg file, which looks like a white picture of a hard drive, then yes, delete it (actually you will not be deleting it, but only unmounting it). To really delete the installer, drag the .dmg file (look in your default download location (yours is probably the desktop) for it) to the trash and delete it. There are a few .dmg files that are good to hang on to. An example would be a program from a very small software developer that might disappear but that you really need. If your application ever got corrupted or accidently deleted, you could reinstall it. This is a vary rare instance however so delete away!

7. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I can delete it if I want. But how do I unmount it? Sorry, this is probably a really stupid question!:confused:

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Just drag the icon to the trash. When you start dragging a mounted disk image the trash can icon will change to an eject icon. After it's unmounted, delete to your heart's content.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Welcome to MR :)
    You will also get better response if you make the title of your post relevant to the question you are asking. This is the 2,192nd thread entitled "Help Me"

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Sounds like someone is quite young and trying to hide your downloads.

I remember trying to hide my newly installed applications from my Dad when I was young. I don't know why I cared so much but I was 12 and it was system 7.

Good Luck kid!

11. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

BTW, I have got MSN messenger, but when I try to sign in it tells me to download and update. When I download this, I get a new icon on desktop , MESSENGER.BIN.UNCOMPRESSED. What shall I do with it?

12. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Is it a folder or a white sort of rectangular icon? If it's a folder, open it up and see what's inside. You'll either have to drag the file to your Applications folder or run an installer.

13. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's basically just a piece of white paper with a fold on top. How do I use this to update?

14. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

You can't--there's something wrong with the file. If you download MSN Messenger from their website, you'll get the latest version without having to apply an update.