Please post here if your 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro whines & makes other odd noises

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mark!, Feb 23, 2006.

1. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Hopefully it is only with the 2.0's & 2.16's ... (no offense to y'all)
    please post your configuration if anything other than stock.

Thanks in advance!

2. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

3. alienex macrumors regular

4. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

A lot of people are complaining that the MBP runs very hot. I'm hoping the 1.83 is at least a little cooler (lower frequency) and therefore less chance for heat related problems (ie. this mysterious buzzing, if in fact its heat related).

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If the buzzing is related to the LCD, the different processors won't really make a difference I wouldn't think.

Plenty of PC laptops I've used have low buzzing LCDs...you get used to it.

6. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Mostly I don't want to burn myself every time I use my MBP. Hopefully the miniscule Freq. difference affects heat - even a little bit would help.
    Back to topic, I have never heard of buzzing LCD's and, to be honest, If my LCD began buzzing I would become a little freaked out.

7. C.J Mac macrumors member

Thanks for hijacking my thread I made in Shipping 1.83’s; just curious
    did you think of that all on your own????????????????

8. C.J Mac macrumors member

Actually it was a post, but aparently its a thread now

C.J

9. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Is the sound really loud? :confused:
    Or just kinda noticable?

10. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

11. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

My old PC laptop made that noise while scrolling and it annoyed the heck out of me. I know 100% that I won't be buying ANY intel mac for a while now until I see that's cleared up!

12. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

This /is/ what we get for letting Intel do the entire design work for the mobo components...

13. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

geez that sounds awful....i REALLY HOPE that it isnt a wide spread thing, especially for the members on these forums. I guess thats Rev. A for all of us..:cool:

14. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

We should actually be thanking Intel. This buzzing is the chip being at such a low voltage that it becomes audible to the human ears (a higher voltage creates a frequency that we simply can't hear). This lower voltage means more battery life. If you really hate the sound, turn off the voltage throttling, and have your battery life suffer accordingly.

And the more I listen to this, it sounds more like the PMU than anything else. My Powerbook does this same thing except when the graphics card is in use. This is a widely reported problem with all Powerbooks, G5's and iMacs that use the processor throttling.

15. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

Well, if these 1.83's made a buzzing noise, wouldn't they have when the demo's were at MacWorld on Jan 10? These are very well tested & have been ...well...real since atleast December, I'm thinking since Apple pulled this 2.0 thingy out so fast, they did this somehow. I think the 1.83's should be fine. Or atleast I hope so. Did anyone hear from anyone if the 1.83's at MacWorld do this? In the videos i don't hear anything, but I guess it might be too loud at that place.
    hmm..

(& CJ...wtf aree you talking about?)

16. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

I think we will find more people with 1.83's on monday...or maybe even today. HOPEFULLY im so anxious to know if it buzzes. But as I mentioned...they didn't at the MacWorld thingy...so it probably won't for us. :D

17. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

You have a point. Perhaps in the switch to 2.0 processors they overlooked something... *silently prays*:rolleyes:

18. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

My G4 powerbook in sig makes ZERO noise. No buzzing or anything. Fans hardly ever come on and when they do are silent, can barely hear them.

19. eevor macrumors newbie

weird....

I have a 17' 1.5Ghz Powerbook, and that buzzing happens sometimes...
    First I thought it was something to do with the battery, when the AC was attached it would make that sound, but then sometimes when I was doing some strenous tasks it would do it again.
    To be honest, I just took it as a minor niggle, I mean, that is the only problem I have had with my Powerbook, so I'm pretty grateful.

But then again...we're talking a brand new Macbook Pro here, so kick a fuss if you want, but then again...what can you do?

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Not my PPC iBook:p

21. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

As far as I understand it, Intel is only involved in the PowerMac replacement board design. The MBP and the last revision PowerBook look very similar on the inside.

Also, Intel is a very good motherboard designer. They do tend to err on the side of stability rather than squeezing the most performance they can out of it. In the end, other manufacturers are only about 1% faster, but many times their product aren't quite as stable. If I was doing large renders, for example, I wouldn't want the machine crashing part way through the job. Humans can't tell the difference in speed until about 10% speed difference, so the 1% penalty for stability is well "spent."

22. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Unless you're an audio engineer you really need to get over this. My 17" Rev. D is chirping away as we speak. The brightness of the LCD has a distinct sound, as does the "Highest" processor setting, GPU, etc. Electricity is not silent, people.

Back in the day I could recite the bells and whirs of my Mac SE as it started up.

23. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Hey I listened to that noise and my Powerbook makes the same noise sometimes. Its caused by the processor. It varies depending on which revision of OS X you're using, but heres the way it works on most of them form my experience...

1. You can make it stop by turning Processor speed from Automatic/Highest (or vice versa on some other revisions).

2. It almost always makes the noise when I'm running Dreamweaver and I move the mouse.

3. When the processor is being used by any app fairly intensively, it stops.

4. Its annoying when the room is silent, but almost any ambient noise drowns it out.

Its nothing to worry about and its not going to be "fixed" because Apple doesn't consider it a problem. I know. I've called Applecare and talked with them about it.

24. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

After reviewing that sound clip... I'm sure that all the other PowerBook users here can tell you, it's the exact same sound. I could hear more noise from the user. :rolleyes: