Please pray for those in south eastern asia.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by slipper, Dec 27, 2004.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Geeze, i just heard on the news 13,000 people were 'lost' after the earthquake induced tidal wave hit south eastern asia. I just met a bunch of flight attendant ladies from Thailand a couple hours before it happened, geeze this just blew my mind when i found out a couple hours later. I hope their families and everyone elses families are ok.

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Exucse my candor, but at this point, I would be cursing the "All Mighty," if I were a religious person.

What is praying going to do?

Enabling those who are providing relief is what is needed right now.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

that is an amazingly crap post xtreme...

all the guy did was ask for prayer, he's not asking to debate religious issues/spirituality... get a grip... just seems like if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it :mad:

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Agreed.

Best of luck to all those who are out there and helping in the various rescue efforts and such, but it's a bit late for "prayer" :rolleyes:

6. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

This is completely rediculous, do you mourn when a relative passes away? geeze and you people at least be a little sensative to the subject? if you dont care, or sdont have anything nice to say, just dont say it.

btw the death toll is now up to 24,000 and expected to rise. :(

7. iGav macrumors G3

Ditto...

Nature can be so violent and cruel... :(

But I do understand the need for some to pray.

It kind of makes you realise how lucky we are in the UK, where we don't get affected by such events on this scale.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Mourning is for the living. It doesn't help the dead at all. They're much better off, most likely.

If prayer helps you resolve situations, go for it. :)

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not having a go at anyone who wants to pray, that's up to you. But there was nothing wrong with Xtremehkr's post, and after gwuMACaddict's response I felt the need to support Xtremehkr's view, as I shared that view.

...anyway...

10. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

11. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I've been praying for those poor souls both the lost and the living and also for those who have not yet been hit by the aftermath of this devastation.

They've been asking for our prayers.

Take care, Margaret

12. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

OMG you **** up this thread...if you dun wanna pray dun do it....

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Nevermind the fact that the vast majority are not christians to begin with. Pray all you like but if you really want to help them out, do something that is going to have a tangible effect for the survivors who are going to be dealing with this for months to come.

Another page of links to disaster relief organizations.

14. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Absolutely. The Red Cross have launched an appeal for $6.8m in order to provide disaster relief. You can donate here if you feel so inclined, and help to make a small but significant difference.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I get that you aren't religious, but then why did you click the link? I support your position to not believe, but also support those who do and wish do so without persecution. Praying might not help anyone, but it isn't hurting either. It's a good way to deal with the grief of a tragedy, whether the people that died were your faith or not. So just let people pray if it makes them feel better.

(This coming from a man with a bit of a crisis of faith right now. Spiritual, I suppose. Not religious)

16. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I don't know if my praying is helping or not, but I do know that your bitching about it isn't (helping that is)

What does it matter if they're Christian or not? And how do you know I am? I'm not by the way.

Take care, Margaret

17. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

solvs: I don't have a problem with people praying, however, I'd implore those same caring people to head over to the Red Cross site and spare a few dollars in addition to sparing a few minutes to pray.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This thread reminds me of two people arguing how best to save a drowning man. Meanwhile, while they debate the merits of their approaches, the man is sinking further below the surface of the waves.

How nice that our lives are so trouble-free, that we can get hung up on windowdressing and formalities of approach.

We all agree it is a terrible event and extend our sympathies and hopefully our assistance. How people choose to present that should be a non-issue.

Come on, people...

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Praying is an intangible, like I said, pray all you like but if you want to do something tangible than make a donation.

"Bitching" about praying? no, just pointing out the fact that even though it makes you feel like you are doing something, there is absolutely nothing to support any claim that praying does anything for anyone other than the person who has prayed and somehow feels that they have helped. Oh you're praying? wonderful, pat yourself on the back and put it all out of your mind.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What has Christianity to do with it? Buddhists pray, Muslims pray, Jews pray, even Christians pray. ;)

blackfox: Good point! :)

21. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I know that my prayers affect the things that happen over in Indonesia. I know this because Christ said that when we ask rightly in his name, even mountains can be moved. When we ask for things that are right in God's sight, our prayers are answered. It's not uncommon, especially in the Old Testament, to see that God was moved by prayer and changed his mind because somebody was willing to plead with him to do something differently than his announced intention.

I have no money to send to those aid organizations. When I have a job and enough money to do so, I plan to send money. But I don't pray just so I can feel that I've done something. I pray because I know that God hears and answers my prayers. Why anybody would attack an honest request and reminder for folks to pray is beyond me.

22. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

You can't even spare $10?

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Maybe we should just get a mod in to delete all this? No matter what your beliefs, we can all agree that this bickering is going to get us all no where?

Truce?

edit: either that or just close this thread and move all real discussion over here.

24. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Agreed. Like a few others, I'm not religious, and won't be praying. Doesn't mean I'm heartless or don't care, however. The living, dead, and the unfortunately soon to be dead are in my thoughts, and will be for a good long while. Flame all you want, my friends, doesn't change a thing. :(

25. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I haven't got $10, but I'll rise to that challenge. The next time I would seriously spend $10 on an unnecessary retail item, I'll forego the purchase and send $10 to a relief organization instead.