Please put your 12" Powerbook Reviews Here

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Jul 15, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Hey everyone

I went to the apple store to check out the 12" PowerBook G4- Before I buy could you people possibly post some of your review (hopefully long ones lol).

I will be purchasing the 12" PowerBook g4 1.33ghz 512mb of ram, 60gb hd, superdrive

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    i think some are already posted, if you searched.
  3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    Before the review, do not buy RAM from apple. Buy from and you can get it for half the price. Second, if you have money, go for the Hard drive upgrade as it would be faster and you can't get it later. Now my review

I have a 12" 1.33 GHz 768 MB RAM, 60 GB hard drive. Its very compact. More than my previous iBook(12" 800 MHz). The keys are excellently aligned, no problem in typing or anything. Obviously very portable. Great to touch :D
    I find it very fast and responsive, may be because I had an iBook before. But still its really fast, and apps open in max 2 bounces. I play Call of Duty with high resolution setting, without any delay.
    It does get hot, and fans come on when I am on the couch and playing or just have connected it to TV and watching something. But they are very silent. And I can't even hear it with my audio out going in the home theatre system.
    I don't know what else to write. Its breathtaking. Most beautiful thing I ever owned :)

4. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    i dont know why everyone recommends crucial...if you bother to check the prices, they aren't much better than apple (at least with EDU pricing).

12" is beautiful. Hard drive sucks compared to a 7200 in a desktop (i know it's not a fare comparison but hey...lick my...) GeForce 5200 is decent, cranks out 30 fps (capped) on iTunes Visuals (anti-aliased) at 1280x1024 (my 17" lcd). Wireless range is superb (works outside on the hammock).
    Battery Life is pretty good, average is 3 hours or more, at least enough for a full length movie. CD and HD get noisy when they spin up, but only lasts a few seconds. On full processor the PB can get WARM, definitely NOT HOT, unless you are on a blanket or pillow (bottom is blocked from air circulation). Excellent keyboard. One mouse button trackpad sucks (nothing like twisting your fingers in every direction to do a command click or drag n drop, i just dont like touch pads). Sexy.
  5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    I have a 14" iBook and its great, if i had a chance i would have gotten a 12" since i move a lot and there is nothing that i need to do that a 12" iBook cant do. Go for it man, its really good.

I saw somone at startbucks yesterday who had a 12" iBook, i ask him if i could test it. He was very nice and let me check it out for about 5 mins. After mins i knew i wanted a 12" modle but its to late. Just go with that you feel is better.
  6. crookedcharlie macrumors member

Apr 22, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    I got a refurb 12" 1.33gHz 60BG, Combo Drive.

It's the best machine I've ever purchased. It's surprisingly quick for such a small machine, and the portability makes it really stand out from other laptops. The screen isn't as small as people think it is, the full sized keyboard is perfect, and the built-in airport and bluetooth are a defiinite plus. I've said it all before in other threads. It's just a great machine. I have yet to find an app it has trouble runnning, nor a time where I wished I had bought another model.
  7. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    I agree with crook here. The 12" screen is much bigger then it appears in the stores. When I was going to get my 12" Powerbook 1 Ghz, I went to the store I was worried that the screen was going to be small. So I ordered it online. I was still so worried. When I got it, the screen was awesome. Much bigger then it appears when I went to lokk at it at the store. For who ever doesn't need the widescreen I reccomend the 12".