Please read if you feel like taking my avatar

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

My avatar is an original piece of work. The Apple logo is the only part that does not need my permission to reproduce. The base image is an original creation by myself and therefore falls under copyright law. This has become an issue. It is my intelluctual property and it is not to be reproduced in it's original form or in a derivitave form without my permission.

Attached Files:

2. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

I don't know what prompted you to post this. Is someone stealing your design?

But you must admit, it is a little ironic. You take a design, that is covered by copyright law, stick it on your 'tar and then complain when others do the same. That's awesome.

3. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes, over at another forum site.

It is a little ironic, but I give credit to Apple in my sig. The person in question gave no credit to me or Apple.

4. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Is it just me, or has your signature suddenly changed?;)

At least that particular person changed his avatar :)

5. cubist macrumors 68020

In your signature, "it's" should read "its".

Instead of copyrighting it, why don't you get a patent? Then you can charge people who use it without permission, or license it to others for a fee. You could even offer it in different colors. The claims part would be tricky, but there are tens of thousands of patents issued every year in the US, and there can't be more than a dozen of them that are even slightly innovative.

6. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

I think that a dozen is a steep figure. Maybe 1 or 2.

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Who will be the first to say it...

I will: "Who gives a flying ****?"

Just put this into your signature:

"This avatar is copyright (c) 2002 Durandal7. It may not be copied, reproduced, retransmitted, or modified in any way in whole or in part without the express written consent of Durandal7 or the recognized legal representation of Durandal7. Failure to comply with this copyright notice will result in prosecution under title X, section Y of the United States Code."

I wish my biggest problem in life was that a few people were stealing a crappy 64x64 animated GIF from me.

8. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Yeah Durandal7, I was the first person on that forum to mention that he had stolen your tar, and he gave me that crap about it not being copyrighted, the boy hasnt even earned his post count to get a tar anyways so I'm not sure what's going on with that. I wish you could apologize for other people......

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

For God's sake, you can't copyright your avatar unless it is a completely original creation! The fact that you're using Apple's corporate logo basically voids you from putting any kind of copyright on it, since the logo itself is copyrighted. All you can do is ask the guy not to commit this mild form of identify theft. But if he blows you off, there's nothing you can legally do about it.

It sucks, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay the fact that somebody used your avatar, but all you guys that think you have some sort of legal case here, you don't. :rolleyes:

10. cubist macrumors 68020

No, I think you can copyright the *changes* to the apple logo.

Copyrights don't have to be for completely original creations.

That being said, I like alex_ant's wording better than the original wording. You will have to determine the current values of X and Y.

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Time to hire a lawyer

From Macrumors, to my hard disk, and back!

I LIKE it! I've been looking for a good avatar... maybe I'll use this one!

Attached Files:

12. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

just out of curiosity, did/do you use that animation for other things or did you decide to just copyright that thinking "hmm, i feel like copyrighting my MacRumors avatar today, because I can"

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: No, I think you can copyright the *changes* to the apple logo.

Uh huhh.... ssoooo you're saying if I took the Star Wars logo and put a swirly moving background behind it that it is now free for me to copyright? Lucas would hang you higher than a kite tangled in a power line if you tried that.

The bottom line is, he may be able to "copyright" the animated design BEHIND the Apple (which I even doubt that), but the Apple image on top of that canNOT be copyrighted since it is already a trademark of Apple and consequently copyrighted as well. Since the guy stole his avatar WITH the Apple logo on it, he's legally powerless.

BTW, it's only "okay" to copyright the *changes* to anything already copyrighted as long as it's changed by around 20%, and even then it is up to the law to decide. The fact that the Apple logo remains unchanged in his avatar means your argument doesn't even apply here.

14. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

geez, comon, so what, go sue, your a grown man whinging about a 50x50 image, get over it

15. medea macrumors 68030

medea

This isnt about legal issues guys, its about this being a community and there are certain things you should and should not do, and those things should be obvious. No one would actually think about taking legal action in something as silly as this, but you simply do not steal others peoples work wheter it be a simple avatar or anything else for that matter, Durandal7's tar is associated with his personality, and it's not too hard to find your own tar.

16. vixapphire macrumors 6502

Yes, but if someone wants to modify his or use it as a basis for their own (like his use of the apple logo, fer instance), won't that make it a tar baby?:p

hey - i know that's a perfectly idiotic remark, but don't go tar and feather me over it!!!;)

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Well I think you should talk to Lemon or someone else over at Funmac rather then posting this here. They should have the control over this. If they don't control the pirating of tars then I think we should ditch FunMac.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I even mentioned it over in that forum. It's poor form, regardless of whether it's a copyright infringement issue. If you 'borrow' a tar from someone, you should have the decency to ask first, not just take it.

Durandal7 has reason to be upset - have you talked to him directly?

D

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I have not talked to Durandal directly but I will bring this up with some of the mods and the guy running fun mac. I have an open line of communication with them.

20. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Copyrighted Avatar

I am currently lobbying my Congressman to exempt avatars from copyright protection.

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Copyrighted Avatar

Obviously you don't get the point. It's not this serisous but it is a matter of courtesy.

Going back to your post. Hahahahaha :)

22. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

That's funny I did not think you could take a screenshot from a Winamp visual that is copyrigthed shrink it and call it yours. MMM I think I will shrink the Apple Logo and copyright it.©™

Spock

23. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Apple Logo

I just heard a story about the Apple logo. It turns out the Apple with a bite out of it is a salute to Past Computer Guru Alan Turing. He aparantly killed himself by taking a bite out of a poisoned apple or something, thus the apple logo.

Any truth... or just MacRumor? :confused:

24. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Re: Who will be the first to say it...

I agree, alex_ant...

Who cares? It is just an avatar and nothing more. You seriously need to consider going out and getting a life. I don't want to sound too mean about this, but why is this so d*** important to you? :confused: :rolleyes: :p :eek:

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

As probably one of the few people on these boards who actually knows and understands copyright law I only have one thing to say.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! :D :D :D

You guys are funny with your little copyright claims to an avatar. Oh god, I needed a good laugh. Thanks.