Please read this - it might save your friend

Discussion in 'Community' started by winwintoo, Sep 22, 2004.

1. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    For quite a while now you indulged me in your forums. I tried to remain anonymous and you let me. I've come to regard you as friends. I value your youthful exuberance and your fresh take on the world around you. Sometimes you're way off, but in the long run it won't matter and where it does matter, you'll realize it in plenty of time to correct your path.

While I usually stay out of your affairs, I came across this article this morning and thought it was time that I shared a bit of information with you.

In case you're too busy to follow the link (I think you should anyway) the article is about a young woman who drank herself to death in a frat house.

Think you don't need to know about stuff like that?

Well, you do.

Maybe you know enough to stop when you've had enough, but do you really think it's "fun" to watch someone else drink themselves into oblivion? You have a responsibility for your fellow man.

If you see a puppy in the street about to be run over by a truck, would you whistle at it to try to get it to move out of the way? If you saw a kid fall into the river, would you jump in to try and save it? Of course you would.

Yet you would sit around in a frat house and watch while someone keeps on drinking, knowing that death is just around the corner.

Oh, you didn't know? Well, now you do.

Death is just around the corner. Either death straight up from alcohol poisoning, or in a car accident, or a slow death by alcoholism.

When I was your age, I didn't know anything about drinking. I went to a party and someone poured me a tumbler full of homemade hootch. That's the last I remember until 4 days later. I never did piece it all together, but I gather that I was moved from one place to another while my "friends" tried to figure out what to do with me. I can only guess how near death I might have been.

I continued to "party" with these same friends and watched as they got other people drunk, laughing hilariously while some poor soul flopped around like a rag doll. Somebody should have kicked my ass and woke me up. Nobody did. Everybody thought it was great sport. Peer pressure. Peer pressure my foot.

That was 40 years ago - yes, I could be your grandmother - but the same thing happened last weekend to the girl in the article and to my grandson's friend who got run over by a car and barely survived with 65 broken bones (he's 14)

What the hell was wrong with me? I don't know. Lack of education for one thing. That's why I'm writing this.

You wouldn't think it was funny to sit around at a party and watch one girl being repeatedly brutalized by the rest of the group - no matter how drunk you were, some decency brain cell would activate and tell you "this isn't right" and maybe you'd speak up - lots of you would speak up to stop it or wouldn't let it happen in the first place - THAT'S PEER PRESSURE - GOT IT??

But for some reason when the group is brutalizing that same girl by sloshing drinks into her long after it's safe to do so, your decency brain cells all take a vacation and you sit around and laugh like a bunch of crazed hyenas - that's peer pressure too - stupid.

Doesn't matter if it's booze or drugs or what it is. If you see someone's life in danger, you as a human being have an obligation to step up and speak up and try to stop it. If the person who's life is in danger can no longer "just say no" then you have to do it for them.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    That story is beyond sad, it brings tears to my eyes. If the story on "Good Morning America" and your post will save just one life then it will be worth the time. We have had alcohol intoxication death here in Boston, the parents used the university. It sounds as though you are my age. Very hard to hear about what is going on with our young people today. A university should be a safe place. Just like school from elementary up children can do stupid things and be very cruel to others. The parents can only do so much in this case. I do think that the university has failed in educating students about alcohol use. The have a responsibility to educate. It will be interesting to hear from college students if alcohol education would help behavior.
  3. akboarder24 macrumors member

Jan 26, 2004
    Fort Collins, Colorado

I go to CSU, where Sam went. It's ridiculous what it takes for some people to start caring for each other. 1 week after Spady's death, a kid died in a Boulder (CU) frat house...apparently of alcohol poisoning. Our football staduim had just approved to sell more potent beer (couple days before Sam's death), and now they stopped the selling of alcohol during games. (Good step, but it finally took 'em long enough), and our student gov't is protesting this! We're a bunch of insensitive dicks here in Colorado it looks like. I just want to say sorry for my the University and what we represent, our youth don't need leadership like this.
  4. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    30 12 ounces bottles ... 11 hours thats 1 liter of beer per hour or half a liter and one liquor 'shot' ...
    reminds me when i was younger and buying one bottle of vodka/person was usal on those short weekends during school

"if you can't handle alcohol, don't drink it"
  5. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This is very sad. I hope that some good can come out of this otherwise pointless death in teaching everyone that binge drinking can be lethal and it's OK to say 'no' to a drink or two or five.

I can understand the immediate reaction of CSU to make football games dry but I'm not sure that's the best longterm move. It makes drinking illegal therefore cool therefore the more you do the better huh. Uh no.

Banning drinking in certain circumstances doesn't help promote responsible drinking. I went to a University where some friends were admitted to hospital in their first year with alcohol poisoning. I was the one that, despite having a few drinks, was sober enough to recognise they had had too much (we had been split up and met up later in the evening) and called for help.

The only difference I could see was that I'd had been able to turn down drinks earlier in the night - take a break and have just the mixer on several rounds. Why? My friends' parents didn't approve of drinking. They had rarely drank at home and getting drunk to them was a way of proving that they'd left home for real. I doubt they'd turned down a drink all night since everyone else was doing drinking rapidly and doing shots, it was obviously the normal way to drink?

My mother had allowed us watered down wine on special occasions since we were kids (think 1cm wine to 10 lemonade!). She drank in front of us but not heavily. We grew up thinking the 'normal way to drink' was to have a couple of glasses of wine or a couple of beers once or twice a week. I don't drink for the sake of drinking. I like the taste of certain wines and certain beers. When I'm in the mood, I drink them. When I'm not, I don't.

There are too many people who think that drinking a lot is the only way to spend a weekend/holiday/celebration. They don't taste the liquor for its own sake but just spill it down their throats. Banning alcohol does nothing to stop this view and much to encourage it.