Please recommend a God Sim game which runs on PC & MAC

Discussion in 'Games' started by rlangle, Dec 8, 2004.

1. rlangle macrumors newbie

Hi

After replacing my second PC for a G4 1.25Ghz iMac, I am looking for a multiplayer strategy game that we can play across both platforms on our home network. In the past we have been big fans of the Settlers range of games, build a settlement, army and capture land / resources.

We are not that keen on Dungeon & Dragon type games, and are looking for a game similar to BlueBytes Settlers. Sid M's Pirates looks good but I note it is not available for the MAC.

Is it possible to load a PC emulator and run PC games? Or would virtual PC 6.1 as advertised on apple.com allow me to load PC games? Or is there a game similar to settlers that will allow multiplayer games across both platforms?

Many Thanks

Rob

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

VPC is not good for gaming.

Many of blizzards titles are both mac and PC (even on the same cd..)
    Warcraft 3 is such a title.

3. cubist macrumors 68020

Not familiar with Settlers.

You can also play Warcraft II and Starcraft Mac to PC. Age of Empires II and Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds will NOT play Mac to PC due to ... well, I guess it wasn't a priority for the developer. My suspicion is that the same will be true of Rise of Nations, currently the best RTS available.

Do you like Railroad Tycoon? It's a possibility as well.

Blizzard includes both ports in one package; for the others you have to buy two different packages.

Ah, I note that you didn't say "real-time". Civilization III is also a possibility, or the multiplayer version of Civilization II (videos will probably mess up).

If the games don't have fancy moving graphics or video, VPC 6.1 will work, altho slowly. I wouldn't buy it just for that, though, it's too much of a headache to go thru just for playing games.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I believe the reason some of the Microsoft PC titles (Rise of Nations and Age of Empires) are not PC/Mac compatible is because Microsoft uses DirectPlay to connect the games which is not available on the Mac side.

There was a list at MacGamer.com (I can't find it now) of games that were available for the Mac and they told you if they were compatible across the network with the PC version. I do remember it having a lot of games but I'm not sure when the last update was. You might poke around there to see if you can find it.

5. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

As far as I know, and as great of a game as Civ III is, you cannot play it multiplayer on Macs, as that was something added in the expansions that were not ported to the platform.

As far as why, how, blah blah blah, let's not start yet another thread on all that.

6. rlangle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the feedback, I will do some digging around on macgamer.com

Rob

7. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Check out freeverse.com

Freeverse has solace which plays on both platforms and even works via email. Of course joining people in starcraft, warcraft2, and 3 is always a good experience. Blizzard is a good company for mac users to deal with. Reward them with $. I want World of Warcraft for the holidays.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

StarCraft.

Cheap, fun, cross-compatible. Runs on anything. Blizzard released Mac OS X patches too, so you don't need classic. They even made an OS X installer.

Its a great game...

9. Edot macrumors 6502

God Sim?

Black & White is a God Sim game :D You can't go wrong with Warcraft III!

10. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

Homeworld 2 (3D RTS)-- not 100% positive of mac-pc MP

I don't recall if you can play star wars: galactic battleground with PCs. (2D RTS)

and slightly different (nor RTS):
    Second Life
    Wow

11. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

WC3 and WC3 frozen throne, Starcraft and Starcraft Brood War are the best in my opinion. :)

12. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Black and White should be great. A gid game with good graphics that should run well on that machine. Note that the "Platinum Edition" INCLUDES the Creature Island expansion pack, so it might be worth looking for that version. (Unless that's Mac only--but I know you can still get the pack separately for PC. Same thing in the end.)

But B&W is pretty unique--it's not quite like any other game you may have in mind. I'm still planning on getting it one of these days.

13. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

You can't :(

14. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

My favorite RTS which is on PCs and on Macs is Command And Conquer Generals: Zero Hour. It is one of the funnest RTS's out there, although the superweapons generals tends to be a bit overpowered against mechanized opponents.

15. cubist macrumors 68020

I just installed this yesterday on my PC, and don't like it at all. The graphics are cute - even beautiful; the user interface is clever; but the game itself is lame. I'm uninstalling it soon.