Please recommend a portable external HDD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, Feb 28, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

My 30GB iPod which used to act as my backup drives for photos, movie, docs, prefs is now filled up less than 800MB left. Therefore its time for a dedicated external backup HDD.

I don't want/need the giant bricks, i just want a sleek/sexy portable...very portable external HDD. Ideally i'd like it to have Firewire but USB will suffice as well. Capacity should be from the 80-160GB range.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

i've seen the firelite in action and they are sweet. from what i remember, they don't need external power either.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid=610175&affixedcode=WW

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Thanks for the link but i unfortunately don't have a canadian postal code

4. JDN macrumors 6502a

5. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I've never had a Lacie that hasnt exploded! We've lost tons of data to those drives.

For externals, go with the Western Digital Mybook Pro
    For portable externals, I'm using a Freecom Toughdrive 120Gb at the moment but this sometimes needs to be plugged into two usb ports to get enough power which is why I've got my eye on this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HXDGGU/ciaouk-21/ref=nosim

...in order to use the firewire port for faster transfer and its powered by the single firewire port.
    (before anyone beefs back Firewire400 is actually faster than USB480 for data transfer)

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

7. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I've seen the firelite drives as well, it was being used by a woman in fact who was backing up before sending her notebook in for repairs. They seem expensive though.

The Iomega looks really cool and has Firewire and its even 5400rpm which is also a bonus. 98 pounds which is steep but probably worth it. I dunno...

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU