Please recommend storage (with backup) solution

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by bigcat, Jun 17, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I only have MBPs in the house and we can no longer store all the music, photos and videos in the macs themselves.

What I am looking for is storage in our LAN to store all that. I want something that can also backup such information (redundancy) so a single drive failure can be recovered from. This place should ideally also support time machine backups.

I am not an expert in the topic, and google produces a number of products, I am not sure what's good. I was wondering if anyone here has found something that can be recommended.

Thanks in advance

2. thread starter macrumors regular

I am kind of liking the Drobo FS. Any one used that product?

3. macrumors 601

satcomer

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback. I already have an Airport Extreme. In the setup you explain, the itunes libraries are not being backed up right? I mean if that drive is fails, there is no backup.

5. macrumors member

Horrible, our company has two Drobo Pro's sitting on the floor in the server room because they failed SO often (and they are slow).

I wouldn't do this, especially if your looking for a backup solution as well. I highly recommend a Synology DS212J for your needs. It supports Time Machine backup (and Windows if you ever needed it), it is fast, reliable, and redundant.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for feedback. I have actually been looking at Synology. Now one thing I forgot to mention I want to do is stream videos to our PS3s. Some of the videos are m2ts (high def produced video camera), I know PS3 Media Service can stream those fine. I am not whether Synology (or any NAS) for that matter can do that natively.

My other thought is to try and use an older server I have and try to build a NAS myself using a linux server, or FreeNas (nas*****), or openmediavault?. I have enough 1TB hard drives laying around to do that. I guess the thing is, if I go the Synology way, will I still have to build a server separate to be able to stream the videos.

7. macrumors member

It's perfect for the PS3, as it uses DLNA & UPnP. You would not need a separate server.

From Synology: "Media Server allows you to stream multimedia files with an UPnP® Digital Media Adapter (DMA) to a stereo system or a TV-set. Sony® PlayStation® 3 and Microsoft® XBox 360 are also supported."