please stop speculating of G5 PB :(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phantommaul, Apr 24, 2004.

1. phantommaul macrumors member

guys i adore macrumors.com i am reading and posting threads since 2002 and i have discoreverd this site in 1999, for the last 2 years i am thinking of buying a new mac, i currently use a destop peecee and as you all noticed i dont like it. now i am so close to buy a new AluBook 15" with 4xsuper drive backlit keyb. and all that other nice stuff however, everyime i enter the discussion forums i read the threads about possible g5 introduction dates, the new fast bus speed, low power consumption etc. then i ask myself if i wolud be a fool to buy a last rev of and soon to be old processor. i wont manage to replace my future AluBook 15" for another 2,5 years so staying up to date against future tech standards are soo importand for me, i dont want the future pro video softwares apple will release wont support g4's and i dont want to read my computers configuration as a minimum system requirement after 6 moths of purchase.

long story short, do u thing i woud be mostly satisfied with my purchase, use my computers happily and trouble-free for at least 2,5 years and most importantly do i feel any regret :( help me out.

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I think most people will agree with me: if you need a new computer now, go ahead and get it. The PowerBook G5 won't be out until at least January 2005, and that's quite a ways away. The 15" PowerBook is a really nice machine, and I think you would be very pleased with it. It will easily last you at least 3 years comfortably, if not more. I still sometimes use my 5 year old iMac, and am amazed at how well it handles most things.

That said, if you can wait, then wait. You'll get a nice, new PB G5 -- when they come out. But, if I was you (and I was a few months ago), buy the PowerBook now and enjoy it. This is the reality of technology. There's always going to be something newer, faster, and cheaper ready to eclipse what you just bought. Don't dwell on it, otherwise you'll never be happy and could possibly go insane ;).

3. bux macrumors regular

The thing I'm worried about is if new software won't support the G4 cpu. Maybe the new software in about 1year will be 64bit only (i.e you need a G5 for it), that's the thing I'm worried about... or shouldn't I be worried about that?

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

The G4 is going to be here for a little bit longer, that is until the G5 is replaced by the G6 and the G5 then has to take over the slower systems, there is the chance that Apple will go for the 64 bit software but I think that they will either delay that or make sure something is in place for the 32 bit Macs, I'm still on a G3 and everything is still going well so with the G4, i wouldn't worry too much about it :)

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I agree with Darwin. Apple isn't going to alienate most of their installed user base again. The transition to OS X was/is difficult enough. It will be a plenty long time before everything is 64-bit. And anyways, I don't think Apple is in a rush to make everything 64-bit. As I understand it, it only allows for access to more than 4GB of RAM. Nothing more. And as it stands now, 64-bit programs under the current 32-bit OS can access the greater amount of RAM, even though the OS itself cannot. And despite OS X's reputation as a RAM hog, it doesn't need more than 4GB by a longshot. With that reasoning, I don't see why Apple would want/need to make OS X 64-bit right now or anytime soon. Perhaps in the few years, we'll see Final Cut Pro and all those high end programs become 64-bit, but I think most apps will remain 32-bit.

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

go for the g4 now. the g5 powerbook won't be here for quite some time, and you probably wouldn't want the rev a of that computer, anyway.

as for software, with the g4 just making it into the ibook, there will have to be support for it for a while. granted, professional apps will probably start moving towards 64bit, but they may be compatible with both or there could be two versions. if not, what's available now should be able to hold you over. as for non-pro apps, they will remain 32bit compliant for quite some time.

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

The shift from 32 bit apps to complete 64 bit apps is probably a good 3 to 4 years away, there are not enough 64 bit computers out there, get the G4 now, I'm sure you will be happy the 15 AlBook is hot especially with that sweet Radeon chip option!

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Come on...

Come on, guys...how long did it take to switch to apps that REQUIRED a G3 or better? 5 years or so after the G3 came out...And the G4? It still has not reached the end of it's USABLE life cycle. Maybe in 10 years ALL programs will REQUIRE 64 bit chipsets, but I really doubt the change will be completed before then.

9. Apple of my eye macrumors member

The G4 will be last a while

We all must remember that until Final Cut Pro 4 ( HD ) Apples Pro software supported the G3 processor. While the cool realtime features of motion and future FCP updates may not be smoking or work at all on a G4, remember the recommended setup up for these features ( 4+ gigs of ram, 128megs vram, dual G5 2.0Ghz ). The ram for that system alone costs more than some powerbooks!!! Apple knows most creative professionals are not made of money ( note OS9's continued support, only now just comming to an end ) and will not slit it's own throat by rendering recent hardware updates useless. :)