Please stop using the term "rock star"

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by tzhu07, Apr 4, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

tzhu07

If you are one of those people, just...

I cannot tell you how many times I've seen this term used in the web design & development industry, especially in job listings.

At least people don't verbally say it as much as they write it.

2. AT06, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

macrumors 6502

AT06

3. macrumors member

4. macrumors 6502

AT06

Sorry - I've edited the post. I was just being sarcastic.

5. macrumors member

yeah, me too :)

6. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I don't see rockstar that much although I'm sure it would annoy me. I always see and hate the overuse of the word "powerful" in software training videos. I literally counted it used 16 times over the course of a 3 hour tutorial once (I count things that bug me).

"Blah blah blah is a powerful feature". Blech.

7. macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Just because I want to hide out in the private rooms with the latest dictionary and today's who's who, and get me anything I want with an evil smile, and I got a drug dealer who's on speed dial, well... I wanna be a rock star!

(kidding, but you get my point?)

Actually I hate all the stupid acronyms and buzzwords too that are often over used in the profession. Mostly used by sales people who never designed a thing, HR people or recruiters or computers that scan resume's electronically, etc. Don't ask me to list them here --- once I get started, I might blow up the DB server on MacRumors. :cool:

8. macrumors 603

notjustjay

I've heard the term used when referring to techniques as a colloquialism for either a talented developer who really does know what he's doing, or one who only thinks he knows what he's doing but is actually perpetuating poor techniques. (E.g. "If you're some rock star web developer who can generate an entire CMS system overnight from scratch").

However, I have never seen the term used in job listings or in any other context. Do people actually say "I am a rock star web developer"?

9. macrumors 6502

eattherich

Yeah, I've seen this way too many times recently too. I even saw one job looking for the Richard Branson of Business. Regardless of the job, that title is enough for me to skip to the next one.

10. thread starter macrumors regular

tzhu07

Oh, and another stupid term is "ninja". Again, not something that people verbalized and say out loud, but it is written a lot of times.

11. macrumors regular

Hey, I embrace these terms. I once sat with a client, wrote like 5 lines of dynamic server side markup followed up with some CSS and everything just clicked. I must admit, I can't think of a better way to describe that feeling than being a "rock star" and badass "ninja". But, I see your point, it is a buzzword these days.

12. macrumors newbie

lol i agree with Rockstar.

i like ninja, though. Ninjas are seriously bad ass, who would NOT want to be a ninja?