"please subsribe to msn plus..."

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by furcalchick, Dec 19, 2006.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

ugh, it's so annoying. i was thinking it was just an outlook thing, but msn is becoming very annoying with their hotmail. i can't import my hotmail stuff into mail without subsribing to one of their services that eat your money. now i have to go on that nag full site that is getting worse. i think they signed something with nbc to make people sign a subsriction to stay with them, but that's another story. what's next, you can only get your mail if you are using windows vista? i've been content with microsoft for years, but over the past few months, they have just gotten annoying.

anyone else had this problem, even with httpmail? i'm really starting to think about getting a gmail account instead and transferring everything there if this gets worse, but the thing is i had that email account forever and moving all of my accounts will be a hassle. suggestions?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Stop whining and ditch MSN ... or keep it, but stop whining.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

sorry, i'm just really spectable of alot of things, but i'm making sure that this isn't going to give the same result that mail did with the "please subsribe to hotmail plus subscrition service in order to do this" thing.

thanks again.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

¿Que? Not sure I understand the first part of your reply.
    Izymail provides a gateway from Mail.app (or any other POP3/IMAP4 client) to most major httpmail services (Hotmail included). While it's not the official POP3 interface (the one you get when you subscribe), it does work.

You can use it free for limited use, or pay for unlimited.

EDIT: Another alternative courtesy of Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreePOPs

B

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

if you want a gmail account, PM me your email addy and i'll send you an invite :)

7. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

thanks!!! it works, even though it is limited. i just wanted some access to my mail besides going on msn all the time just to check on new email or to write an email.

8. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Even though you got it to work, I would still get a Gmail account. I have both a hotmail account and Gmail and prefer Gmail. Works flawlessly with Mail as well.

9. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

update

turns out the izymail was really limited, i can only see messages from the past month, plus i can't send any mail from the mail app. it's like the old days all over again from seeing lots of spam ads on the site just to check mail.

i've also decided to sign up for a gmail account tomorrow. i'm just getting tired of msn's old tricks and i thought it's time to make sending email more convient than just a chore from what it's worth now through msn's mess.

and ps, the address book is really awesome, helps to intergrate everything tight, and alot simpler to organize and manage than the windows versions of the mail applications that made adding new contacts into a theisis and just never bothered with it. now, sending email will be alot more fun and eaiser.:)

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Spectacle?
    Respectable?

Sceptical!

11. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

my spelling isn't the best, but regarding that, when i type on fourm messages like this one, safari won't kick in spellcheck. anyone know why it does and how i can get spellcheck working here?

and the point was i didn't want to get scammed...

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Press CONTROL and click in any text box (reply box). Go to the Spelling menu and select Check Spelling As You Type. :)

13. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

14. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

izymail is giving me fits now...

now it's refusing to get my emails from hotmail at all. this is just disgusting and very annoying.

i haven't done the gmail account thing yet, but i will in a few minutes. but first, i have to try to sync my uni email account with mail, which i have no idea to do because they left no information on how to do it. all i know is the server is mail.*****.edu and it's on the ms exchange server 2003 as well as being accessible via outlook, so it must be accessible through mail. what should i look for guys?

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Weird. I've got the older izymail server (no longer available) installed on my windows box and it works just fine for everything, except current yahoo mail. I'm surprised the online version is causing you so much grief.

First try IMAP4 then POP3 using the address you've got for mail.*****.edu. Do you have an Outlook Web Access address? If so you might be able to use the httpmail access in Mail.app.

Why's syncing your mail a prerequisite for gmail? You do know you can't upload to gmail from Mail.app, right?

B