Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
Hey dudes

I WANT TO BUY A LAPZILLA (17" PB)

I can definitely WAIT, as my Ti 1 ghz is holding out good

I do lots of video editing though, and the extra speed, especially with a 970, would be pretty sweet

but I'm writing a major screenplay this summer, so I'll be cozing up with my PB very much this summer, and a bigger screen is always nice

so anyways - I've got the money, I've got the ADC discount revved up, and I'm about to pull the trigger - but at this point, with the 970 and stuff, I should probably wait ---

PLEASE CONVINCE ME TO DO SO

THANK YOU

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
If you don't buy it I'm going to break your leg. ;) :p

In all honesty, we don't know how soon or in what models the 970 will be available. Heck, we don't even know if Apple will even use the chips (although it is highly likely.)

My suggestion? Go for it.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Yeah, go for it and you'll be crying like a baby when dual lapzilla comes out.

---->Wait

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by Megaquad
Yeah, go for it and you'll be crying like a baby when dual lapzilla comes out.

Just like how MOSRs said that dual-G4 laptops were just around the corner_several years_ago, right? :rolleyes:

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
there will be no dual PB's. there will be no 970 PB until next spring at earliest. Perhaps late next winter. It's all common sense-- people expecting a 970PB to pop up any day now are delusional. There's generally at least one product revision cycle before chips make it from desktop to laptop. that's at least 6 months from 970 PowerMac ship date... which is still a long way off.

So, but it now. Seriously. And send me your old one for giving you such phoenominal advice.

:D
pnw

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
don't buy it. I think you'll be disappointed when you find that your brand new 17" performs no better than your Ti. Upgrade when there's really something to be gained, like a new processor or an ATI 9600 mobile.

ZeeOwl

macrumors member
May 31, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC, Canada.
PB 17" versus TiB 15"

If you're writing the screenplay this summer, you won't be editing it for quite a while, I assume. Sure, the bigger screen is nice. But is it really worth the difference in price of trading in your TiBook? Unless you're rich, I doubt it. Write your screenplay. By the time you're ready to edit, the PB 970s will probably be out.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I would wait - not for the dual cpu, but to see what happens at WWDC. Its only a few weeks away now and unless you have a very pressing need for a new machine that would aid you in your productivity, at least hold off till then.

D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You did say "Part 2"

Buy the Dell Laptop...

The PowerBook 970 is just a figment of the rumormongers imagination -- at least until it really ship.

Remember "It's NOT a quality computer, It's a Dell" :D

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Assuming you're using Final Draft for your screenplay, there probably won't be much advantage to having the 17" display. If it were me, having a new 17" powerbook would *distract* me from my writing more than it would help me. :D

Wait until you've finished your screenplay, then make the 17" PB your reward.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Wait for WWDC, if nothing comes buy it.

In 6 months (maybe) there *might* be an update.

I mean there may be an update by winter, but nothing to shoot yourself over.

The 970 MAY be in desktop winter, in a laptop, see next year.

Chimaera

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2002
While I doubt theres going to be the 970 in ny laptops I do think theres a chance of a speebump at least being announced at WWDC, so I'd advocate waiting til the end of June to decide - however I really don't see much point in the upgrade you're talking about - want a bigger screen? buy a monitor and hook it up to that - add a keyboard and mouse (and an iCurve if you want the assembly to look nice) and you have the same performance as youd have got from the 17" (more or less), the bigger screen you wanted and saved about £2000 :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'd have to say wait until WWDC. While I personally don't think a 970 PB will come out, it's still a good idea to wait and see what happens.

Some of the rumours are saying that the 15" will get the 970 first, not the 17", so you may not be able to gain screen size immediately upon release of the 970. So wait and see what happens.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
If you've got a 1GHz 15", why get the 17"? 2 more inches? Backlit KB? The vid card (which I've heard the ATI is better)?

Trust me, you can wait a few months. Even if it's just for a few MHz and a couple of hundred bucks. If you need the real-estate, but a new monitor.

Seriously dude, wait.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: PLEASE TALK ME OUT OF THIS part 2!!!!!

Originally posted by HasanDaddy
Hey dudes

I WANT TO BUY A LAPZILLA (17" PB)

I can definitely WAIT, as my Ti 1 ghz is holding out good

I do lots of video editing though, and the extra speed, especially with a 970, would be pretty sweet

but I'm writing a major screenplay this summer, so I'll be cozing up with my PB very much this summer, and a bigger screen is always nice

so anyways - I've got the money, I've got the ADC discount revved up, and I'm about to pull the trigger - but at this point, with the 970 and stuff, I should probably wait ---

PLEASE CONVINCE ME TO DO SO

THANK YOU

Nike say Just Do it. And Nike was a goddess - who are you to mess with logic like that? :D

WilliamGates

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2003
Don't do it. You will feel like a fool afterward for trading basically up to only equal performance. Consider that you just have a case of laptop buying fever. Wait for something to come along and knock your socks off. I am a 17" owner and that's my advice. I moved up from a 667 DVI because I needed DVD-R and was sick of my Ti shedding paint. The big speed bump was also a plus, and I find my new (transintl.com) exterior firewire 800 hard drive of 120 GIG runs about 38% faster than my old exterior firewire 400 HD. I also look forward to the bluetooth mouse to appear hopefully soon. You have a marvelous laptop and you should be proud of it. The GPU will probably do certain things better than mine in the gaming arena and other tasks. Have patience and you will be rewarded much more than with the 17". Wait until at least the next revision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.