Please turn off all personal electronic devices

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by aquajet, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aquajet macrumors 68020

If you're the type that thinks the rules governing personal electronic devices on commercial flights are hogwash, here is an interesting read.

And here is information regarding VOR and ILS, the two systems cited as most vulnerable to interference, as well as GPWS.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

still dont see why i'm not allowed to use my dvd drive but i can use my HD even though the HD has huge powerful magnets inside, but a spinning disk os plastic, oh noes.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think that one of my favorite shows, MythBusters tested this idea. I don't remember what their conclusion was though. :eek:

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Every flight I've been on, they've asked for HD devices to be switched off too - including iPods when coming into land or taking off. I do tend to think that they take a little too excess at points - while I can understand at the point when the crew go back to their seats, asking for them to be off when the flight starts its initial descent with 20 minutes before landing is frustrating!

Of course, it's also got an element of those being the most 'dangerous' points of the flight so not wanting people to be less alert to emergencies.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The problem is created by devices that generate significant amounts of RF, not magnetic forces. The only instrument on the flight deck that could be effected by magnetism is the magnetic compass, but the captain's tie tack is going to have more influence on the compass than a magnet in the passenger area. Cell phones seem to create all sorts of spurious RF which can be picked up by a variety of devices.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

MythBusters proved that this problem is real & not fiction. I saw the episode.:)

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

still a HD is a more complex device, all an optical drive is is a spinning plastic disk and a laser, i dont fly much i'm just going on what i was told when i last flew.

good think i ripp all my dvd's

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Since when are you not allowed to use a DVD player / drive (other then landing and take off when ALL electronics have to be off)?

9. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

You are correct IJ, and I think it's important to note that the reason that the RF interference is such a big deal to the airlines is b/c it can lead to pilot error. If the avionics get messed up and the pilot has to make a decision based on the messed up equipment THAT'S when it can get dangerous. The interference itself isn't going to crash a 747.

*Boggle parks his hotdog vending cart just upwind of IJ & is suddenly distracted by a shiny object all the way down the block.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Not exactly. If I remember correctly, they found that it probably would not affect the plane, but just to be safe they called it plausible/confirmed.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

So the potential threat to all lives on any flight should be forfeit because someone wants to watch DVDs or call someone just to loudly tell them they're on the plane? :rolleyes:

12. iGary Guest

iGary

It's definitely truth. I have had a couple of passengers on both helicopter and small aircraft flights during IFR use cell's, PDA's and one time an iPod trip off some instruments.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

"Luftfrau"

LOL!!

:D

14. aquajet thread starter macrumors 68020

Sort of like when you're on short final, looking out the window and you can barely make out the engine nacelle on the wing, while the guy sitting next to you is playing with his blackberry. Yeah, like that.

Nothing irritates me more than to see people breaking these rules on an airplane. :mad:

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So a terrorist could just refuse to turn off their iPod?:p

16. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

The choice between 20 mins without music/film and possible risk of painful firey death is not a difficult one.

17. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

They tested for cell phone signals, and determined they didn't have a real effect.

18. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Dateline New York

5 suspicious teenagers were hauled off a plane today after refusing to turn off their iPods. As the plane was taking off the pilots began having problems with the instruments. A quick check of the cabin found 5 teenage boys listening to iPods. They were ordered to shut them off, but refused. An air marshall onboard quickly arrested the boys for making terrorist like threats, and the iPods were confiscated and the plane returned to the airport where the boys were handed over to federal custody. One of the boys fathers voiced his outrage over the arrests. "I can't believe they thought it was them, they should be allowed to listen to music!"

The air marshall had this to say, "some people are just downright dumb"

FAKE

19. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Keep cell phone use banned, regardless of any threats. Who want to spend 8+ hours listening to those obnoxious ring-tones pumped out at max volume, or the mindless bull**** being spewed by the neurotic phone users? :p

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Actually they had an effect and had deflected one of the guages big time. plausible I think this was on the shredded plane episode and not the cell phone one.

21. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

No kidding, the constant echoing of "hi, i'm on the plane, we just landed" up and down the cabin is bad enough.

Also, slightly off topic, concerts are getting more obnoxious to go to because you end up looking at a thousand telephone viewfinders of all the merkhins who think they're going to get a decent photo from a cameraphone in the dark. :mad:

Remember like twenty years ago when everyone thought that the guy with the cellphone was a big silly jackass? WTF happened to that?

22. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They all got cellphones...

23. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask someone to unplug their headphones or stop talking on the phone for 20 minutes of the day to make ABSOLUTLEY sure that the plane does not crash and kill everyone on board.... Sure its annoying, but you can't listen to your ipod if your dead...Or can you?!?!11??one1!!

24. jane doe macrumors 6502

I've had my cell phone ring in the plane and cause deflection on the VOR. Good thing I was not in IMC and knew what was going on. A deflection like that shooting an ILS would cause serious problems. I could see how one persons phone going off could cause the pilot to have to "Go Missed" on an approach and cause everyone to be late.

But this is real, I've seen this happen with my own eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.