Please Write to the Vice President

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Toe, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Shockingly, Dick Cheney told the truth: saying this makes one feel much better.

So try it. Write the Vice President a letter and say nothing but, "F*** yourself, Dick" (but use the real word, like he did). Perhaps if the Vice President gets a few million letters telling him this, he will get the idea that this is not a nice thing to say to another human being, regardless of their standing in government.

Here's his contact information:

Vice President Dick Cheney
    The White House
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
    Washington, DC 20500
    Comment Line: 202-456-1111
    E-mail Address: vice.president@whitehouse.gov

For your reference, here's what the Vice President said:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3699-2004Jun24.html

And here is the Vice President of the United States explaining to us why it is appropriate to tell a U.S. Senator to F*** himself (on the same day that the Senate passed the Defense of Decency Act):
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6025-2004Jun25.html
    "I expressed myself rather forcefully, felt better after I had done it," Cheney told Neil Cavuto of Fox News. The vice president said those who heard the putdown agreed with him. "I think that a lot of my colleagues felt that what I had said badly needed to be said, that it was long overdue."

Isn't your letter to the Vice President long overdue?

Please pass this on.

2. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

don't think it is worth a letter-
    but it is worth a quick chuckle

no 'snore'...as bitfactory suggested.

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think this belongs in political discussion... I can see it getting ugly real fast.

Besides, the person Cheney told off probably deserved it. I believe it had to do with that republican senator's divorce that his opposition was trying to use against him, and Cheney got pissed off at the scumbag.

It probably wasn't right for him to use that language, but I can see why he did.

4. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

NOBODY in America deserves to hear their Vice President behaving that way. Nobody even deserves to be told this sort of thing by anyone for any reason.

But if Cheney is going to say this sort of thing and to go as far as to be completely, 100% unapologetic about it, then Mr. Cheney most certainly deserves to hear a few million Americans tell him this.

F him for sending our country to war on false pretenses.

F him for using my tax dollars to make him and his friends richer.

F him for killing and wounding thousands of American GIs.

F him for pretending that Iraq has ANYTHING to do with 9/11, and using American sentiment on 9/11 to get support his war.

F him for killing tens of thousands of other people for no good reason.

F him for lying to the American public.

F Cheney.

There... I sound as mature and sophisticated as the Vice President. Nice, eh?

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

let's put this in the political forums on the double!

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

rather than guessing, why don't you learn the full story and then render a judgement?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Apart from anything else, I'd rather have someone with a little more
    self-control with his finger on the button.

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Honestly, Dick Cheney has been guilty of a lot more egregious acts as Vice President than the use of profanity.

I'd rather hear more hoopla about his abuse of power in order to give Halliburton an upper hand in Iraq rebuilding contracts.

I'd sweat the small stuff if there wasn't so much big stuff to sweat, too.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If he'd poked him in the nose, he'd probably have deserved that too. Or if he'd grabbed him by the throat.

Reductum ad absurdum.

And lest we forget, the President's job is to do his job.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You might want to read the reports on why the exchange happened:

Regardless the VP should show some bipartisanship when in a "public" setting. They weren't at some bar together.

And if you read the article it seems that the Republicans had issues with the f-word with Democrats before. So turn about is fair play.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Or a heartbeat from the office of president. Lets pray that Bush remains healthy...

Did I just say that? :rolleyes:

12. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

scott, check this stuff out before you post it. That republican "senator" was a former candidate (Jack Ryan from Illinois) and the folks who were using this information against him were his fellow Republicans in the primary race. Newspapers got it from the primary opponents and sued to get the information. As a result his campaign blew up and he has left the race. This has nothing to do with the Cheney/Leahy incident.

Cheney was angry because Leahy, among many other Democrats, has questioned Cheney's role in the awarding of contracts to Halliburton - his former company from which he still receives money. When Leahy said hello he raised it and Leahy responded about how he didn't much care for GOP tactics either and gave the case of the Republicans accusing Democrats of being anti-Catholic based on not confirming "pro-life" Catholic nominees. It was then that Cheney responded with his enlightened "F*** yourself."

Why you think Leahy is a "scumbag" is something you don't bother to tell us, but is this a term you think covers all Democrats who disagree with Bush and Cheney or just the senior Senator from Vermont?

13. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

So anyway...

F*** Cheney... and the stolen election he rode in on.

P.S. Isn't it nice that I can't say that word in this forum, but the vice president feels it is appropriate for the floor of the Senate?

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

This is a perfect example of the "well he did it first" excuse BS that I remakred about in another thread (one of the F9/11 threads I think).

So, Toe, you berate Cheney for using unacceptable language, language that according to you shouldn't be used period, and then you use, and tell everyone to use, that language. Why?

Does lowering yourself, and trying to drags others, down to Cheney's level, solve anything? You dislike Cheney's actions but you are trying to get everyone to act like Cheney? Why not take the high ground? Why not try to get people to write a well-worded, civilized letter to Cheney explaining why his outburst was inappropriate<sp?> and unbecoming of the VP of the USA?

Why the emotional, reactionary attitude that will solve nothing and only fan the flames?

Lethal

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

here's what i want to say

dear mr cheney dude,

i wish a certain democrat was in office right now, but since you guys won the election and are here until january '05, i much prefer you to dubya...and you are much smarter, too

...too bad his name was first on the ticket since cheney-bush has a better ring to it than bush-cheney

-jef
    california, usa
    one state you didn't win

;)

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I don't see it as an issue of self-control. I think it is simply that he is a hypocrite.

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

LOL. Except I wouldn't put the "won the election" part in ;)

18. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

I believe Cheney is immune to that kind of reason.

Read what Cheney has to say for himself. He's very adamant in explaining that it is necessary to use this kind of language in order to feel better. On the ***** floor of the Senate. Appropriate. Because it made him feel better.

This guy needs a slap in the face, not a stern lecture. I'm not one for aggressiveness, but clearly this kind of bully doesn't respond to reason.

19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

some times it does... at least temporarily!

20. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

Just a reminder...

This guy is running for reelection.

The nerve!

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, with a piano.

22. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

I feel that there is subject matter and people that need a verbal slap to make a point. Which Cheney seems to be. And in his case with Leahy neither of these, IMHO, were the case. Sometimes the truth hurts, and it makes people over react. As in this case with Cheney.

But I do have to agree with Lethalwolfe about lowering yourself to that level. I think you can make this point and not lower your own standards. Which you seem to have done numerous time when once would have sufficed. Unless you're just talking about a higher stardard... not yours.

23. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Did you know that pursuant to LOGCAP, Haliburton won a multi-year non-competitive bid contract with the U.S. military in 1992? Who was President then? AND WHO CONTROLLED CONGRESS????? It also won a no-bid contract in the late 90’s for work supporting the Bosnian intervention. Haliburton was even cited by Al Gore’s good government panel for praise. Why aren’t you demanding answers to this stuff? Do you even know what LOGCAP is and why it exists?

Then you should also go after every x government offical who recieves money from service that is now in private biz. Or do you advocate a double standard? Did Steve Jobs want Gore cause he was able to invent the internet or to help get government contracts? Al gets a good wad from our tax dollars each year and "works" in the private sector, doesn't that anger you?
    There are many government officials that recieve money from their previous businesses and are in government service, and their previous companies still do biz with the government. If you want to be angry at this type relationship go after Carlyle Group.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Holy resurected thread Batman!

This thing died 2 1/2 months ago.

Lethal