Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I wouldn't recommend NAS drives as they are extremely slow due to FAT formatting. This also limits the file size to 8GB.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Sorry, 4GB.

ZFS... I've not seen any at a price that would make sense. Any examples?

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Various offer on small servers that would be cheaper than a off the shelf NAS. Various HP MicroServers, Lenovo TS150, Dell T20 would all fit the bill and run FreeNAS happily.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
I've yet to see a single person who recommends FreeNAS mention you require ECC ram to benefit from the ZFS features.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
You really should be running ECC RAM if you're running FreeNAS, although many choose not too :D

A server, like those mentioned above, are generally supplied with ECC RAM

Last edited:

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I'm with Crazy Badger on the use of ECC RAM with ZFS (or any filesystem that's used to store data you care about), although it's certainly not required. One of the main reasons to use ZFS is data integrity and RAM is heavily used by ZFS. The data integrity features of ZFS don't really mean all that much if what's in RAM isn't correct. It's what I use in my FreeBSD/ZFS server.

While I don't use FreeNAS in my own server, I do think it's a really nice product and recommend it.

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Im actually running win 10 because I need some of the other features. I was just trying to same some money for OP with using free NAS

marlman

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I am new to Plex always thought it was too complicated for me. Anyway I decided to take the plunge and wanted to use kit that I already owned.

I have a WD NAS where all my media is stored but it's not a model that you can install Plex on so I knew I had to run a server.

A year ago I bought a Toshiba 7" tablet running Windows 8 but soon realised it was too small for me so it become a bit redundant. So I had the idea of using it has a server, I updated it to Win 10 and installed the Plex software on it. It's great I leave it on 24/7 it automatically updates when I put new media on my NAS

I use the Plex app on my Samsung TV and also the Plex app on my Apple TV, I love it it's what I have always been looking for. And I was wrong it's not too complicated for me!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.