Plex app for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by aprofetto8, Aug 31, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Just stumbled across the description for Plex for the iPad/iPhone. I heard about it before, but I didn't realize it would be able to stream the content used by Plex.

Has anyone successfully streamed a show or movie to their iPad using the Plex app? Is the quality good? Laggy/choppy?

Thanks, appreciate all the information!
  2. macrumors regular

Nov 22, 2008
    Tried it briefly on WiFi and it works after a brief delay from selecting the movie. Streaming of 3G will require you to manual set up port forwarding on the server side. Still a work in progress on the Server app but a nice start. I expect a future release could include automatic port forwarding similar to AirVideo app.

The metadata import that gets added to your collection is very nice.
  3. macrumors regular

May 19, 2007
    Wow. This made my week. I love Plex on my macs. I run them on 3 tvs. I can't wait to be able to stream to the ipad. Ill get it and let you know how it goes after everything is updated.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Jul 8, 2008
    my house
    Is there any reason to get this app if I already have Air Video and Rowmote?
  5. macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2008
    Plex does more than video. Although Rowmote and AirVideo together may give you a similar mix of features, the Plex interface on the desktop machine, especially if hooked up to a TV, is pretty phenomenal.

I also like Boxee and its app, but it doesn't do streaming.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Jul 8, 2008
    my house
    *side note, I use Plex on the big screen

But, I think the Plex app should be free at the moment (although I don't mind supporting them with a purchase since Plex alone is worth more than $0.00) because they're a tad too late to the streaming/remote app game, you know? And it doesn't make sense for someone to purchase the app (even though they may want it (me)) if they already have a solution that works.

IMHO, Boxee was only good on the Apple TV BUT their closed captions were superior to Plex's
  7. macrumors 6502

Jan 20, 2004
    Just grabbed Plex app and installed it on 32 gb/3g iPad. Able to stream media to iPad through 2 levels of a very wifi unfriendly house. Have not tried 3g yet, but will from work tomorrow. Rebuilding a 20 TB library is taking a looooooonnnnng time.

8. macrumors demi-god

Dec 30, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Holy hell Tom. I have a ways to go to catch you my friend.

On the Plex app, have it installed on the same, iPad 32/3g, and was streaming a 1080 movie just fine to the bedroom which is my worst room for coverage. All in all, I like it and I've used Plex long enough without paying anything for a phenomenal product. For that price I can skip 1 Venti Caramel Macchiato and call it a win win.