Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgtarky

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Benton, Arkansas
I'm surprised there hasn't been more excitement about this on the forum. Seems like adding Plex capability to an aTV3 would be a big deal to a lot of people.

Or is it that we have all gone ahead and converted our discs to mp4 and no longer have a need for Plex?

its a big deal to me , I need to try it to see if it works, I was just about to decommission my atv3 and using my roku, got sick of dealing with iTunes. I was going to start a thread about how I cant put any movies on iTunes, yes I have done it before, I get no errors it just never shows up. anyway If this works screw the itunes crap

Sgtarky

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Benton, Arkansas
the article is not big into the howto tho, itis as if oh you already know how to do it, like is that plexconnect installed on the at3? if so HOW they just say to run scripts

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
the article is not big into the howto tho, itis as if oh you already know how to do it, like is that plexconnect installed on the at3? if so HOW they just say to run scripts
They say it's in the early stage and there will probably be an installer developed later on that will make installation easier. Let's give them some slack so they can spend their time developing the system. If you don't know how to run the scripts at this point, you probably shouldn't be doing it. JMHO

brettO5

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Has anyone found an idiots guide (for me) to installing Plex Connect on ATV2 without jailbreak? I'd love to get this working if anyone can help please.

Cheers, Brett

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
Has anyone found an idiots guide (for me) to installing Plex Connect on ATV2 without jailbreak? I'd love to get this working if anyone can help please.

Cheers, Brett

Brett the wiki is pretty straight forward and detailed, however give me some info on your setup and I will do my best to see if I can dumb it down some more for ya.

brettO5

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Brett the wiki is pretty straight forward and detailed, however give me some info on your setup and I will do my best to see if I can dumb it down some more for ya.

Thanks mate, that would be fantastic. I've got an ATV2 fully updated and non-jailbroken connect via ethernet to a mac mini which I use an an itunes server. ATV is obviously connected via HDMI to my TV.
Is this what you needed?

Cheers, Brett

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks mate, that would be fantastic. I've got an ATV2 fully updated and non-jailbroken connect via ethernet to a mac mini which I use an an itunes server. ATV is obviously connected via HDMI to my TV.
Is this what you needed?

Cheers, Brett

So you have plex server installed on the mini?

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
I installed it and followed the instructions to the letter but just get 'The Plex Server could not be contacted'.

I have an exception in Windows Firewall too.

Tried it on my macbook also but that didnt work either.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Your best bet is to head over to the Plex forum on Plexconnect and troubleshoot there. Make sure you read the sticky on what info to provide when requesting assistance. They are very quick and friendly.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
I'm surprised there hasn't been more excitement about this on the forum. Seems like adding Plex capability to an aTV3 would be a big deal to a lot of people.

Or is it that we have all gone ahead and converted our discs to mp4 and no longer have a need for Plex?

Excited as hell. Just waiting for the next gen of iOS hardware to come out & I'm jumping all over this (need a better aspect ratio for AirPlay). Not due for an upgrade til August. :D

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec
DRM videos?

Great for Plex, I will certainly try it. But I got a question: I have a lot of movies and TV shows bought on iTunes, if I put them in the Plex library, will they work on the :apple:TV? Those videos are registered on my iTunes account, so they are legit. I would just like to find a way to serve them to my :apple:TV without having iTunes running. Anyone tried that?:confused:

Because we are five at home and each of us has a laptop, plus I also have an iMac which serves as an iTunes server for the :apple:TV. So my elder son's laptop can't share the iTunes library. (limit of 5 computers per account). For it doesn't matter since he has a PC but he would like to change it for a Mac and we only use the iMac as a server so it could go or at least not be one the five.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.