Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
So the difference between this and just uploading your videos to Amazon Drive is the UI and the fact that you are streaming via Plex instead? Curious how well it would work if I just uploaded all my movies to Amazon Drive.

Reactions: tennisproha

jmitch720

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
So the difference between this and just uploading your videos to Amazon Drive is the UI and the fact that you are streaming via Plex instead? Curious how well it would work if I just uploaded all my movies to Amazon Drive.

I read a review of amazon drive that said you can't stream video files in the browser that are longer than 20 minutes. Maybe they have/will update it.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
So does this service stops content owners from taking legal action to access this service and search for non-DRM content which would be classified as pirated?

daanodinot

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2015
Although ditching my hard drives and uploading all my data to Amazon feels tempting cost-wise, it feels rather frightening to put all my eggs in one basket like that. What if the terms change (for the worse) in the future? What if the pricing changes? What if a competitor suddenly becomes a much better option? It means I'll have to download terabytes of data back and perhaps upload it to a different provider.

I'm not saying I'll never do it, but I'm very happy having my data locally, so I'll patiently sit back and see how this plays out.

Reactions: reallynotnick

iwataasks

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Be interesting to see how Amazon react when people start putting TB's of pirated media into their Cloud services, and then using Plex to share them with family and friends ;)
I doubt that. Amazon Cloud is not free, it costs $60 per yer + you need Plex Pass. So, I'm pretty sure, that audience will ignore this service.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
Be interesting to see how Amazon react when people start putting TB's of pirated media into their Cloud services, and then using Plex to share them with family and friends ;)

I have over 14tb of pirated video on my Amazon cloud account. Well about 9 tb of pirated stuff and about 5tb of iTunes videos that I used requiem to remove the drm

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Personally, I love Plex. But I'm a little baffled by how this is becoming a mainstream piece of kit that requires you to rip DVDs, which is legally questionable at best. And now they're promoting you putting these ripped DVDs unencrypted on a file sharing service.

Amazon Drives really a backup/remote storage solution. It has some sharing capabilities, but I don't think it's accurate to call it a file sharing service which would imply thats the primary purpose of the tool. It'd be like calling iCloud a file sharing service because it has the ability to do some degree of sharing.

I'm honestly really surprised they haven't been targeted by MPAA or such. Being able to share your entire library with friends and have them access your media at will seems like it would attract their attention.

Other than the new DVR features, I'm not sure there is much to pin them for. Plex doesn't break any encryption which is what the media companies are more likely to chase. Other than that, it's playback software with some sharing capabilities but it's not really suited to mass piracy in itself and there's far better options out there if you want to distribute movies. It can store home movies, photos etc too.

grad

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Ripping your bought DVDs for convenience is a serious crime against humanity. When I hear people doing it, instead of buying multiple DVDs of the same movie again and again for every compatible device/place AND subscribing to a streaming service that includes the same movies on top of it so that they can access the content from their post-pc gadgets, I imagine the poor lawyers and Hollywood companies' GMs starving to death while their children are left uneducated selling matches in the street.

On the other hand, putting your personal videos on the cloud is both advisable and patriotic.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
I've tried using ExpanDrive to mount my Amazon Cloud drive as a normal shared volume, then pointing Plex there for media. Kinda worked, but needed optimization. Hopefully this solves the issue.

Wassindabox

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2016
Personally, I love Plex. But I'm a little baffled by how this is becoming a mainstream piece of kit that requires you to rip DVDs, which is legally questionable at best. And now they're promoting you putting these ripped DVDs unencrypted on a file sharing service.

As a customer of cloud drive I'm questioning how they expect people to get the content in there... you can't upload files bigger then 2 gigs in size.

Ken Linger

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I doubt anyone will notice/care because the files you upload aren't public. I'm not saying that Amazon can't tell what's in your "drive" but unless you tweet "Hey, here's a username/password for everyone to access my Plex server and I just posted a copy of Star Wars: Episode 8" where suddenly 500 people are all streaming from the same account, it will go unnoticed.

Of course, there's the initial upload of your library where you're going to have to (probably slowly) upload your movies/shows over the course of weeks.

The biggest concern, I think, is that in today's world, "unlimited" rarely means unlimited. When a large group of people suddenly jump from 1-2 GB on average to 10 TB of storage, one might think they'll go the route of tagging them as "abusers" and either warn them or update their usage policy/limits accordingly.

Reactions: DiceMoney

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Just bought a Nvidia Shield with an external usb harddisk. The Plex Media Server with hardware transcoding seems to handle quite well.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I guess I was thinking long term. One could set up a nice little Synology box with a few TB's of storage for less than $400.

but now you are comparing "a few TB" with unlimited storage ;)

nothing wrong with that, if you don't need more space. just needs to be considered.

This is the exact setup i'm currently running myself. But had to switch from 2x2TB to 2x4TB and upgrading disks is not cheap. Could have paid for like 5 years of amazon storage for the price of the disks alone ;) And because of the mirroring i'm only getting 4TB out of it.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
I can understand why they want to make the interface web based. This reduces that amount to development for each and every platform that uses Plex - hit the web interface - simple

I have three people in the house using Plex all the time, linked to devices and TVs. If Plex Cloud was to be the way to go, and have the media stored in the cloud, my internet connection would be saturated with multiple streams - and would not cope.
Thats the crux of it for me - it's a non-starter.

What if our internet connection goes down too, I'd have the family screaming at me because they cannot watch a movie, which they could do if they are locally stored.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I doubt anyone will notice/care because the files you upload aren't public. I'm not saying that Amazon can't tell what's in your "drive" but unless you tweet "Hey, here's a username/password for everyone to access my Plex server and I just posted a copy of Star Wars: Episode 8" where suddenly 500 people are all streaming from the same account, it will go unnoticed.

Of course, there's the initial upload of your library where you're going to have to (probably slowly) upload your movies/shows over the course of weeks.

The biggest concern, I think, is that in today's world, "unlimited" rarely means unlimited. When a large group of people suddenly jump from 1-2 GB on average to 10 TB of storage, one might think they'll go the route of tagging them as "abusers" and either warn them or update their usage policy/limits accordingly.

You should be aware that cloud services often use de-duplication, so if you and a friend both upload StarWarsEpisode8.mkv, the cloud service would only store one copy and only the first person to attempt the upload will need to actually upload it. All subsequent uploaders will just get that file 'credited to their account'. This is what happens with Dropbox. It's how they keep their storage costs below the rates their suppliers charge (e.g. AWS).

So if you're uploading a lot of pirated content, there's a chance you wouldn't have to upload anything at all, but on the other hand the service operator has it within their power to immediately identify who is storing any particular file - so long as they have a copy of the offending file themselves to match it against.

So, for example, Disney could open an account, and attempt to upload the same .mkv file. If they notice the file uploads suspiciously quickly, they know at least one customer has the exact same file in their account, and they could get a court order to have the file purged from every account on the system. By storing the file the cloud service operator would be in violation of copyright every time they make a back-up or transmit the file back to the account owner.

I suspect this mechanism is how Amazon might protect themselves from some high-usage customers. Many of those account holders will just be storing purchased or pirated content, which would barely register once de-duplicated. You might even see T&C prohibiting odd things, like CCTV recording, which can't be de-duplicated.

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
I have been running my own version of this for a while.

I have a 4$/month VPS that mounts my Amazon Cloud Drive using acd-cli. A Plex server is running on the VPS. It works just fine with about 4 TB of movies. I have a lot more to upload and just started doing it after the announcement.

I registered for the beta. This would be a fantastic service! And I would stop paying for the VPS.

joshen

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
“Those who use Plex Cloud should abide by the Terms of Use of both Plex and Amazon,”

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
It means I'll have to download terabytes of data back and perhaps upload it to a different provider.

I don't think saving on hard drive space is the point (hard drives are cheap) - you'd presumably keep a local copy.

The point is (a) you don't have to keep a Plex server machine (with enough grunt for transcoding if you want to stream to phones etc.) running 24/7 in your house and (b) you can access your media from anywhere without running a server over your home broadband connection: apart from being prohibited by some ISPs, that has practical problems: it requires a fixed IP or dynamic DNS service and many (most?) home broadband connections are "asymmetrical" (ADSL etc) meaning that they are optimised for downloading and have fairly low upload rates.

jroadley

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Norwich, UK
Signed up for beta.
Signed up for Amazon Drive unlimited - and got 3 months free!
Amazon Drive desktop app installed and started to upload content under a Plex folder which matches current library naming standard. These vary from 800mb to 10gb in size.

My understanding is you will have a separate library to your current "local" library.

Can't wait!

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I stream from my Plex server mostly when I'm in the house, and only occasionally when I'm out of the house. So to switch over to 100% internet streaming would make no sense. I also own my storage space (NAS), I'm not going be renting it from Amazon.

I can see where this might work for some people, but its certainly not going to sway anyone who already has a working Plex server setup.
[doublepost=1474985570][/doublepost]
You should be aware that cloud services often use de-duplication, so if you and a friend both upload StarWarsEpisode8.mkv, the cloud service would only store one copy and only the first person to attempt the upload will need to actually upload it. All subsequent uploaders will just get that file 'credited to their account'. This is what happens with Dropbox. It's how they keep their storage costs below the rates their suppliers charge (e.g. AWS).

So if you're uploading a lot of pirated content, there's a chance you wouldn't have to upload anything at all, but on the other hand the service operator has it within their power to immediately identify who is storing any particular file - so long as they have a copy of the offending file themselves to match it against.

So, for example, Disney could open an account, and attempt to upload the same .mkv file. If they notice the file uploads suspiciously quickly, they know at least one customer has the exact same file in their account, and they could get a court order to have the file purged from every account on the system. By storing the file the cloud service operator would be in violation of copyright every time they make a back-up or transmit the file back to the account owner.

I suspect this mechanism is how Amazon might protect themselves from some high-usage customers. Many of those account holders will just be storing purchased or pirated content, which would barely register once de-duplicated. You might even see T&C prohibiting odd things, like CCTV recording, which can't be de-duplicated.
Can you source the legitimacy of this? I'm aware of such ability on file servers and even work with it in my company, but this is the first I'm hearing that Dropbox and others do this as well. I don't find that to be the least bit appropriate for a service you're paying for. It may be technically efficient, but seems to be a privacy issue in my opinion.

Last edited:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Can you source the legitimacy of this? I'm aware of such ability on file servers and even work with it in my company, but this is the first I'm hearing that Dropbox and others do this as well. I don't find that to be the least bit appropriate for a service you're paying for. It may be technically efficient, but seems to be a privacy issue in my opinion.

Yep, but actually Dropbox may have turned it off these days. So maybe that was all typed for nothing but it would be safe to assume all cloud services use de-duplication unless you hear otherwise.

Here's a bit on how it works/worked with Dropbox...
http://blog.fosketts.net/2011/07/11/dropbox-data-format-deduplication/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.