Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plex or Native Video Option

• Plex

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • Native

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
ATV 4 users do you play your video thru Plex or the Native portion of your ATV and why ?

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
There's a wealth of recent info on Plex (and Infuse) already in the forum -- have you tried the search function?

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Both.

I have been using iTunes with Home Sharing for years. However, I also have a Plex Server running on that same machine, pointing at the same files. So essentially, I have both options for different uses.

The Native app is what we still use for normal viewing at home, mainly because we are used to it. But Plex is used by my son who has a Roku in his room, as well as some family members outside the house.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
I use Infuse with a network connected HDD, no need for my Mac to be running to use it, and it's fantastic app

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
It's pretty simple. For the casual user, if all your videos are purchased via iTunes, or are already in an iTunes friendly format, then there's probably no reason to venture outside the dome. But if you rip your own videos from disc, or obtain them in other ways, and the file formats aren't iTunes compatible, then Plex or something like it is a no brainer.

John_Hagan

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2016
I use Infuse with a network connected HDD, no need for my Mac to be running to use it, and it's fantastic app

I agree. My setup is the same. Infuse works great and there is no need to keep the computer running like with Plex. Infuse is a very nice alternative.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Plex is good, but not for me.

For me, it does too much... Different uses.. I enjoy ripping via HB... I don't need or even wannt know or other software automatically converts my stuff before playback..

With HB u are in control more at least u know what settings u have applied. and can adjust most of them

Native all the way..

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Plex is good, but not for me.

For me, it does too much... Different uses.. I enjoy ripping via HB... I don't need or even wannt know or other software automatically converts my stuff before playback..

With HB u are in control more at least u know what settings u have applied. and can adjust most of them

Native all the way..
Just have Plex do direct play?

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
direct play is the same as using the native player. You've already encoded in a format supported by the apple tv so there is no transcoding.
At least with plex you have more flexibility with all your devices and aren't limited to encoding one way for one device. I use handbrake to make encodes for my main theater. h.265 and HD audio and it direct plays on Nvidia shield. But the rest of my devices(roku, chromecast, xbox 360, xbox one, etc.) don't support that so that's where plex comes in.

Last edited:

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
After a long time Kodi/XBMC user, I tried Plex. At first I was amazed how it just worked everywhere and the remote viewing on any device was great. But after a while I realized that I don't really need to view my video library on my iPhone wherever I go. Also I was becoming sloppy in my folder/metadata organization. So now I use MrMC mostly.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
I used Home Sharing for years on my aTV 3. I use Plex now. Home Sharing is too limited (in term of interface, search, etc). But, I have disabled the transcoder in Plex (only removed the executable) so I continue to have a pure Apple-compatible library (allowing me to use Apple's Video app on iOS). Also, I favour my embedded tags over Plex agents to keep some consistency over iTunes, iOS and my aTV.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I used Home Sharing for years on my aTV 3. I use Plex now. Home Sharing is too limited (in term of interface, search, etc). But, I have disabled the transcoder in Plex (only removed the executable) so I continue to have a pure Apple-compatible library (allowing me to use Apple's Video app on iOS). Also, I favour my embedded tags over Plex agents to keep some consistency over iTunes, iOS and my aTV.
You don't have to disable the transcoder. If your files are supported by the device you are playing on it won't transcode. And it settings you can force direct play so even if the formats weren't supported it still wouldn't transcode.

I play on many devices. All direct play on the shield. Others the video is supported but not the audio so the video will direct play but the audio will transcode.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
ATV 4 users do you play your video thru Plex or the Native portion of your ATV and why ?
Native whenever possible. I keep all video in mp4, and try to obtain all video in MP4.

But I do keep Plex running for the annoying rogue mkv file.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I use Infuse or MrMC - why setup, maintain, and run another server if you don't need to?

Setting up plex is brain dead simple. Most people already have a computer to run it on so it's easy to use. Doesn't have to be a special box or another computer. No fancy server needed. More powerful NAS can run plex directly without the need for a computer.
Maintaining is no different than using infuse. Copy and paste movies where you want them. Maybe even easier as many people using infuse move external hard drives or thumb drives between the ATV and computer where the movies are ripped to copy them over. My content stays where it's ripped/downloaded.
And plex works on everything where infuse only works on ATV. So there's a few reasons.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I won't include the other programs that potentially could be used, such as VLC, Kodi, etc., and just leave this to the main 3 that have been discussed in this thread...

1) In home use only, AppleTV4 only: iTunes, Plex, or Infuse
2) In home use only, use with multiple streaming devices such as ATV, Roku, etc.: Plex (maybe Infuse, I am not sure)
3) Outside of home use: Plex
4) Multiple users with tracking of viewing history, progress, etc.: Plex or Infuse

While the above is not 100% complete, it should serve as a general guideline for what should or should not be considered. i.e. - If you want to access your library on a Roku for instance, iTunes is not your tool.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Plex is nice but I stopped buying physical movies 5 years ago. There's enough crap in the landfill and life's too short to keep ripping/converting/tagging. Man I converted about 350 movies and countless TV shows. Blu-ray tv shows are especially a pain lol. I'd use Plex it if it somehow could play my protected iTunes movies but of course that's not going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.