Plextor PX-750UL Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 50thVert, Jun 1, 2006.

1. 50thVert macrumors regular

Hello every1,
    So after deciding the 4X Dvd burner in the MacBook was way beyond too slow for me, i went out and bought an external Plextor PX-750UL and hooked it up on the FW400 interface. DVD burning is flawless and fast, but CD burning is an issue. It will only burn up to 24x on CDs and when i look in the System Profiler, it says under the Burn Support tab "No/Unsupported." What does this mean, and how can i get it to burn CDs at 40X?

-Zach

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, I think that if you use Toast that it should give you a choice or have a maxium speed under options. I'm not sure about using it with iTunes but my LaCie lets me choose what I want every time I burn no matter what I'm burning, cd/dvd, but again I use Toast a lot. I guess I'm also not sure if your using anything (App. wise) to do your burning, so how are you preping everything/burning it? Also did you install any of the software that came with it? My friend has the same burner and it lets him burn at top speed but then again he has a combo drive and a G3 iBook.

Attached Files:

3. 50thVert thread starter macrumors regular

As far as the CD burning issue im referring to iTunes. Only lets me select 24x, which is the maximum speed according to Apple and iTunes. It sucks because thats the only speed that is affected, all DVDs burn at the true maximum of 16x.

-Zach

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I see, now I could be wrong or my friend is wrong but I think he makes what he wants using iTunes, then puts the playlist into a folder then uses Toast to burn thus allowing a higher burn speed. I didn't try this method but it just might work but if you have Toast just import the playlist into it then burn at the speed your hearts content :cool: