Pls post your top 25 classical playlist

Discussion in 'iPod' started by daneoni, Mar 8, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I've recently seriously been interested in classical music but i dunno where to start. iTunes reviews seem all over the place. I like the new Yo-Yo Ma album but i can't get it off iTunes yet (Incomplete)

I'd like the chill type classics....to start off with and then work my way up. I also seem to have an affinity for lyric-less songs (pieces?) thus far.

Anyhue i was hoping classical music listeners would post a list of their top 25 classical pieces thus far, even better, post the top 25 you use to relax/chill.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I don't really listen to classical music on my iPod, well at all. But I play classical on the piano and some of Chopin's pieces are amazing. My teacher just played me Chopin's Nocturne op. 2 no. 2. Very beautiful (and hard!).

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Sampled Chopin today and it sounds pretty darn good.

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I teach music to university majors so I can help you out as much as you like. If you like Chopin, you must like Romantic-era piano music. You might try Schubert (piano sonatas, symphonies, moments musicaux, etc.), Schumann (Kinderszenen, Carnival, Davidsbundlertanzen, etc.) or Brahms (Op. 116-119). These are Chopin's German contemporaries (Brahms is a bit later). You might also try later French composers, who were greatly influenced by Chopin: Franck, Fauré, Debussy and Ravel.
    As you've already discovered that "classical" music is worth listening to, you are about to discover your personal likes and dislikes. These may change over time, but don't let anyone browbeat you into liking something you don't in the name of being refined, high-class, intellectual, etc. You may decide that you hate certain composers, and there is nothing wrong with this. You may also decide that you love something that others look down on; again, there is nothing wrong with this. According to Duke Ellington, there are only two kinds of music: good and bad. Enjoy the process of discovering the different composers you put into these two categories.
    If I can help you in any way, don't hesitate to send me a personal message.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Classical music covers so much time and so many styles that it is hard to jump in based on someone else's recommendations. Compilation albums, like the Most Relaxing Music in the Universe, are always in iTune's top album lists. People either love them because they contain a lot of the most popular themes, or hate them because they only contain snippets and are sometimes not well recorded. You can find many lists by searching the web.

I suggest you go to your local library and try to narrow it down. You will find many compilation albums there. Listen to some symphonies, chamber music and individual instruments to see what you like. Start with composers you are familiar with. Once you are familiar with styles and composers you can start comparing artists. You can also listen to internet radio if there is no classical station in your area.

Some of my favorites:

Barber: Adagio for Strings
    Rachmaninov: Vocalise, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
    Beethoven, any symphony but also try some sonatas
    Copland, Appalachian Spring
    An Introduction to Early Music
    Also try some Bach, Brahms and Ravel.

This is impossibly hard because there is so much and it is so personal. Explore. I hope this helps.

6. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

Try Glenn Gould's recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations. Only make sure you listen to his 1982 recording, not his earlier 1955 recording.

7. hoosier17 macrumors newbie

As peole said previously, classical music varies so much but here are some good places to start.

Slavonic Dances-Dvorak: first piece i recomend to anyone wanting to get into classical music. they are two sets of 8 dances each (first set is slightly better and more famous). each dance is generally pretty short (4-8) minutes and most are really catchy. listen a few times and you'll find yourself humming these melodies all the time.

Beethoven- symphonies 3,5, and 9. a little long but some of the most important classical music ever written

Tchaikovsky- 4th symphony

Berlioz- Symphony fantastique: even more interesting if you read the program notes before you listen.

Stravinsky- rite of spring, firebird suite

hope that helps you out. All of these pieces are ones that you can listen to over and over and never get old. have fun exploring some great music.

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Thanx for the replies, will be checking these out this coming week.