*** Pls Suggest Dual Display Video Card

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Dec 4, 2003.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

Hi,

I just bought a 1.25 DP MDD G4 and notice that it is less than completely quiet (!).

In my research of solutions I noticed one person saying that the fan on the video card is the major culprit. I have not checked tihs out with my own ears yet - but assuming this to be true, I would be willing to swap the exsitnig video card (and sell on ebay) - which is the NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium (which I noticed DOES have a BIG fan) with something much quieter -
    I still want dual display - but don''t have an Apple LCD (and don't have plans to purchase one) -
    so, Requirements are:
    - Dual Display: DVI and VGA is fine.
    - Good support for Quartz Extreme under Panther
    I don't game and do mostly work/programming, some web develpemt, photoshop, illustrator and maybe a little final cut now and then.

What would you reccomend as a good replacement card - even something with no fan would be great!

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

have you actually identified it as the culprit?

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    although it's not recommended, i'd suggest using pencil eraser, or your finger, and stop the GPU fan before you go and get another graphics card... see if that is the real reason for the noise levels...

www.g4noise.com and www.xlr8yourmac.com both should have more resources for identifying noise sources in the MDD's.

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Do what the poster above me said, stop the fan. These machines are very loud, so it might not be the video card.

Anyways, I believe the only card without a fan is the Radeon 9000 Pro. I think the newer Radeons all have fans. I've got a 9000 in my Dual 1.25 G4, and the performance is excellent. Even for gaming, it performs very well. Given your requirements, I think this would be the ideal card for you.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

geforce4mx has no fan but thats a big step backwards-70 bucks new

6. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

it IS the video card

I just tested/checked - it has the newer PSU and so the fans are farly quiet - jsut air passing through
    BUT the reall WHINE in the system is the fan on the video car d- so , now off to find one that is quieter and works in the mac on ebay - I'll keep the old Ti one for resale- I assume the regular 9600 won't work in the mac...I have to have a mac version, yes?

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

your stuck with a ati 9000 which has adc or a ati 9800 which has no adc and you need a adapter if you have a apple display. they dont make a 9600 for retail mac. ill swap my geforce3 with you its not loud at all.

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
  9. BIGgui_X_ macrumors member

please, contact me, i'm interested to exchange your Geforce TI for my radeon 9000, without any fan, and some $$$

thanks

10. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

Thanks you - I did check (and buy) the Thermaltake fan for the NVidia car d- so that should resolve my problem and I'll keep the Ti card