Plug an iPod Shuffle into your airport express...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sstern1, Aug 9, 2005.

1. sstern1 macrumors member

Plug an iPod Shuffle into your airport express...And does it charge?

Just a question, I'm thinking about picking one up and it seems like it would charge the shuffle.

2. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

From the Apple website:
    While this port was not intended for this purpose and it's not supported by Apple, iPod shuffle can be safely charged from an AirPort Express.

So what does it mean that it's "not supported by Apple"?
    Is that their way of saying, "If something goes wrong, we're not going to be accountable"?
    If so, then why is it on their support page?
    I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding what they mean here.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think it's a way of saying "this is on your own risk" (though I don't see what may go wrong) and, even more important, "forget about calling us for help on doing this"... ;)

4. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Which is then the ultimate hypocritical cop-out - if they're going to condone it on their official support website, they can't claim ignorance as to it being "supported."
    They need to decide which side of that fence they're going to be sitting on... :mad:

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Lots of the things you can do with your Apple equipment aren't supported by Apple. That doesn't, necessarily, mean it will harm your machines, just that Apple don't want people calling their support phones asking for help doing, more or less, weird things with their Apple products, and, of course won't take any responsibility if your "smart" ideas actually managed to hurt the hardware. Apple cannot test and support all possible uses of all their products. They have to stick with "what's intended".

I understand Apple very well.

6. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I guess my point is, if they don't want to "support" an unintended use, then they shouldn't condone it on their website. They should leave the public to determine on their own whether an off-label use will work or not.
    I feel like here, in the same sentence, they are saying, "Go ahead - it will work just fine. But don't call us if it doesn't; it's not our fault."
    If they don't want to support it, they should leave it off of their website then.
    Just my 2 cents.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i never thought about that....thats very interesting...