plugin to make tabs in safari better?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by captainbeefheat, Apr 15, 2006.

1. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

Ok today I have decided to sort out my browser problems once and for all. I'm tired of using lots of browsers, unless it's to test things. Anyway Safari seems to be leading at the moment with a few plugins installed. It does everything I want it to baring it's handling of tabs is just rubbish. Is there some sort enhance to tabbed browsing? I mostly want to just have everything open in tabs, new links, searches. No new windows unless I tell it to, just tabs! Or can you just do this, as I haven't found a way yet.

The annoying thing is I know I could get everything I want in Opera, which is what I use on windoze. But I don't know what it is but I just dislike it on the Mac, think it's a porting thing. Doesn't feel like a Mac app much like firefox.

Actually while we are at it a paste and go would be very nice too!

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The only way I know how to make tabs work in new links is to cmd+click on them, that automatically opens them in a new tab, but leaves you in the "parent" tab. If you add in a 'shift' it'll open in a new tab and take you to it.

This doesn't sound like exactly what you want, since you'd probably like to avoid the command-part of the clicking. Could you just add a keyboard shortcut in sys prefs?

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I guess you've already set the Open links from applications: in a new tab in the current window option in Safari preferences -> General?

Then there's always Saft, which adds a bit more control. Just beware that it's not free (there is a donationware lite version) and that it has a tendency to break with every OS/Safari update. I never liked Saft, but some find it useful. I just switched to Firefox... ;)

Also, Taboo is nice to get those warnings that you're about to quit Safari with a bunch of tabs open every time you hit cmd-Q by accident instead of cmd-W. That was a "lifesaver" more than once when I still used Safari. :)

4. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, hmm i think i might just have to try and except opera on the mac. Maybe 9 will be better!