Plugins for OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nigel_t, Nov 30, 2001.

1. nigel_t macrumors newbie

I think OS X is great and I i'm glad everyone is moving to it and sftwre is being developed for it and all that. But i'm a pro video editor/visual effects artist and I have not heard anybody mention plugins for AE,FCP,PS and so on for OS X, has anybody heard anything yet. I've got a fairly large investment in plugins for AE & PS ,they better upgrade them.

Nigel.

2. ronnyb7 macrumors newbie

plug-ins for osx

Hey Nigel,
    I'm in the same field as you, editing and visual fx, and I can totally understand your concern; however, the plug-in architecture is independent from os x (as far as I know), because you can run Photoshop in os x's emulation mode, and all the plugins should work...

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

4. ronnyb7 macrumors newbie

audio plug-ins

Epa chamo,
    I think the audio plug-ins should work as well, so long as the main app runs under emulation... I haven't switched to os x yet (I'm waiting for Final Cut Pro for OS X to be released) so I haven't tried After Effects under os x, but I remember reading that it was close to completion.
    Peace.

5. nigel_t thread starter macrumors newbie

plugins must be native OS X

hey ronny:
    I saw AE for OS X on http://www.macrumors.com some time last week. I'm also waiting for FCP for OS X to be released. but th e thing is I want the plugins to be running native, not in classic. So when I fully go to OS X, because i have not gone yet, I'll have my gammot of plugs to work with.

6. ronnyb7 macrumors newbie

AE plug-ins for os x

Nigel,
    If I understand the way these things work properly, the plug-ins don't make any calls to os x directly, but to AE. I don't think Adobe would make the mistake of changing their plug-in architecture and leave a very large number of users and developers in the dark. I don't know this first hand, but I'm sure an email to Adobe tech support would clarify the issue.
    Peace.

7. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Any more info...

on whether or not third party after effects plugins will work under AE 5.5 on OSX (native, not classic)?

I have so much money in plugins, but the "no dual processor" thing in OS 9 in killing me.

If anybody knows for sure, I'd love to know.