Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grassgreen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
main concern is battery life and call-time. Both cost about the same in this case. Which one would you choose given the criteria: 64gb regular iPhone or plus model with 16gb?

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Battery life is much better on the Plus. So if that's your main concern, the question is easily answered. Why consider the non-plus, then?

Most people would be concerned about the display size and pocketability of the Plus. Or the storage capacity difference (many people would have issues with a 16GB storage limitation). But if neither of those are issues for you...

C

Grassgreen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
And BTW... You can also get external batteries for charging on the fly, or even a battery case, like a Mophie (link).

C

Sorry, I thought the storage situation was implied 16gb bigger battery vs 64gb smaller phone(but more storage..)
I know there´s a bigger battery, but there´s also a bigger screen to power. So I was curious if they even each other out in that regard.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Sorry, I thought the storage situation was implied 16gb bigger battery vs 64gb smaller phone(but more storage..)
I know there´s a bigger battery, but there´s also a bigger screen to power. So I was curious if they even each other out in that regard.

You can see the specs on the iPhone site, and see that the Plus has a considerably longer battery life (both for screen time and for talk time). It's also covered in numerous reviews, and in the forums.

As far as the storage, either you need the extra storage or you don't, for the most part. Even though I don't use a ton of storage on my phone, 16GB just wouldn't cut it for me, regardless of how long the battery life is. The 6s gets me through a complete day of usage though, so it's not an issue (for me). You need to decide your needs... If the 16GB isn't enough for you, but you need the extended battery life, you can look at pruning your storage needs or cloud services. You're the only one that can make the decision of what's required.

In my case, the pocketability of the 6s+ was the deciding factor. I was going for the 64GB unit no matter which one, and either one was going to spank the battery life on my old Samsung S5. And the $100 price difference wasn't a factor.

C

Grassgreen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
I appreciate your feedback :) It´s not the s-version, prior year. There´s a lot of reviews but there´s also divided opinion in forums. I guess I could be better at dumping pictures onto my computer, but there´s also the updates to consider, and they´re getting bigger each update.. 64gb would be great on the plus version, but they do charge for the additional storage..

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I appreciate your feedback :) It´s not the s-version, prior year. There´s a lot of reviews but there´s also divided opinion in forums. I guess I could be better at dumping pictures onto my computer, but there´s also the updates to consider, and they´re getting bigger each update.. 64gb would be great on the plus version, but they do charge for the additional storage..

The battery life information on both of the previous generation models is just as readily available, if you choose to look for it. And I don't think anyone has ever claimed that the 6 comes close to the 6+ with regards to battery life. I've never seen that, in any case.

Do you have a phone now? How much space are you using on it? How long have you owned it? How long does your battery last you, and how long do you need it to last? What kind of things do you use your phone for?

C

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They don't rally even themselves out in that regard as the larger battery provides more than even the somewhat larger screen uses up.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I have had both and am currently using the plus. Ive found that the battery life much better on the plus than the regular 6. my typical day starts at 6:30am-10pm. When I had a 6 at the end of the day I was around 20-30 percent pretty consistently. With the 6 plus its around 50-60 percent most of the time. As far as storage I think that its highway robbery that Apple is still offering a 16GB phone at the prices that they charge. I strongly suggest 64GB as the minimum. Even if you don't think you are going to use all of the space it never hurts to have extra plus it helps with the resell value.

Grassgreen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
My current phone is a 5s, 16gb model. I use my phone for calling, texting and watching a movie on-the-go. I just watched The Prestige on my 5s and enjoyed it very much, did´t mind the display size then. But I´ve checked out the plus and tried some other phones with a 5,5 inch display. It´s much bigger and it would be better to watch a movie on that. But there´s the pricing.

the 64gb version of the plus cost more than the 6 version with the same amount of storage. The 16gb plus cost the same as the 64gb 6.

I´ve managed on the 16gb 5s, so maybe I could go for the 64gb 6, and buy the new battery case from Apple. Then I´d pay the same price as I would for the 16gb plus, but get the same amount or greater battery-life, and more storage. i would´t get a bigger screen, but maybe the 6 will suffice.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
If you can enjoy a movie on the 5s, then a 6 will work for you. I would take additional storage over the bigger screen and battery of the Plus. The battery is not bad at all on the 6. I am not a very heavy user on my 6, but can easily make a day out of it, even watching a movie or 2. The only thing that would change my mind, would be if I could afford the extra storage on the Plus. Then I would go for the Plus.

Reactions: Grassgreen

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
My current phone is a 5s, 16gb model. I use my phone for calling, texting and watching a movie on-the-go. I just watched The Prestige on my 5s and enjoyed it very much, did´t mind the display size then. But I´ve checked out the plus and tried some other phones with a 5,5 inch display. It´s much bigger and it would be better to watch a movie on that. But there´s the pricing.

the 64gb version of the plus cost more than the 6 version with the same amount of storage. The 16gb plus cost the same as the 64gb 6.

I´ve managed on the 16gb 5s, so maybe I could go for the 64gb 6, and buy the new battery case from Apple. Then I´d pay the same price as I would for the 16gb plus, but get the same amount or greater battery-life, and more storage. i would´t get a bigger screen, but maybe the 6 will suffice.

After looking at the new battery case from Apple, there's no way I'd go with that and a 6 instead of a 6 Plus. It's ugly and bulky. But that's my personal opinion...

Why do you need more than a day's worth of battery life? How are you surviving on your 5s? The 5s battery is rated for 10 hours talk time, or 10 hours video playback (or LTE use). The 6 is rated for 14/10/11 (with the battery case, ?/20/18). The 6 Plus is rated for 24/12/14. Are you going to be exceeding any of those numbers before you can charge up?

C

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Knock yourself out. But all you're doing is spending money to get an extra 16GB of storage. If that's worth it to you, go for it. You can likely sell your phone to cover most of your costs. But considering you said your main priority was battery life and call-time, it's not addressing your primary concerns.

C

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'd pony up for the 64GB 6 Plus. Battery life on the 6 Plus is very good, and paying an extra $100 for the extra storage is worth it in my opinion.

Vicrooloo

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2015
Forget battery life. Imagine the frustration of maxing out your storage after taking 5 of those Live photos

Jokes aside. 16 gig is simply not acceptable for anyone and if its money that's an issue there are cheaper Android phones with more storage.

Grassgreen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
6 with 64gb or 128gb, and the new Apple battery-case: I´ll get the battery life of the 6+, and enough storage. I guess screen size isn't that important(just something I would love watching films but I do that on my laptop;))

..and I know, I´m a indecisive bastard :D:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.