plz help noob w/ reinstall...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JaggZ, Aug 14, 2006.

1. JaggZ macrumors newbie

OK, so I downloaded an app that deletes the language files not in use...yes, it cleared a lot of space - but now, no Adobe or MS Office works. My conclusion, I must have deleted some and/or all of Rosetta?!?!?

So I am assuming I need to reload OS X? I have a new Macbook (Intel). Do I just need to insert the OS X cd, and reboot? Do I need to hold anything while booting up so that it reads from the cd and not the hard drive? Ahh - - I'm such an idiot....

Also, can I choose to not install the language files that I do not need during reinstallation?

Thanks so much for the help in advance!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

first: backup anything you don't want to lose.

then: insert install disc: open it and there will be an option to reboot from the disc, do so.

once rebooted from the disc: on the menubar, open disk utility.
    erase the drive.
    close disk utility and proceed to installation.
    there will be an options bubble, and yes you can choose not to install language files and printer drivers and other bundled apps that you do not want.

that being said, there could be another work around to your particular issue.

3. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

silly question but have you rebooted? :cool:

Also what happens when you run Word? Nothing at all?

PS- What app did you install that deleted the lang files?

4. JaggZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.. I rebooted...when I try to open any Adobe app or even MS Word, they just bounce a couple times in the dashboard then stop. Same thing occurs when I try to open from the Applications folder.

5. JaggZ thread starter macrumors newbie

A work around would be even better!!! I was hoping that would be the case. Is there a way to confirm whether (?) or not Rosetta is jacked-up?

6. JaggZ thread starter macrumors newbie

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Just to be sure it's a Rosetta problem (although it sounds like it is), did you have a look at Monolingual's FAQ on that page...in particular the second item? Did you have a look at the "Architectures" pane before you started Monolingual? Are you getting the error message they list in Console? (If you haven't used Console before, it's in Applications --> Utilities.)

8. JaggZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Just confirmed that it has the same error as posted in the FAQ's. I'm an idiot for not reading that first.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices: mach-o, but wrong architecture

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Okay...you are going to have to reinstall OS X to fix that problem. Monolingual really should have more explicit warnings in the program (not just a line buried in the FAQ) about this. The good news is that you can just do an Archive and Install (just follow the instructions for this option when you reboot from the DVD) and you should be up and running fairly quickly. I'd still backup any important files before you do it, but it should preserve things well enough that you can just bring them back in from your old install without having to resort to your backups.