PM came in DOA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joecool85, Aug 16, 2005.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

This sucks. It won't even turn on. I called tech support and they are going to do a replacement. What a PITA. I guess that's what I get for purchasing a refurb...

If anyone is interested, it was a dual 2ghz PM, stock configuration for the rev b w/PCI-X and 8gb ram capable.

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

"Apple Certified Refurbished"? :p And they don't even check to make sure it turns on?

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

That's what I was thinking.

4. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

So what happens you box it up and send it back to them and then they send you a repacement. how does apple handle things like this?

5. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Maybe it's not a quality thing. Maybe it's just Apple certifying that it's refurbished.

"Well, we don't make these new anymore, and it's still sitting around over here, so I'm willing to bet it's refurbished.
    "Signed, Steve Jobs."

6. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

I box it up, Fedex sends me an email with a scan bar on it. I print it out and bring the box to fedex, as soon as it is scanned, a replacement is sent out from Apple w/overnight shipping.

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Well, hopefully you get a working one next time.

Sorry to hear about that :(

8. JasonL macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me. Of course, I had the added surprise of having another machine that I had previously ordered (and cancelled before it shipped) also arrive on my doorstep at the same time. So, I sent those two back and got my new (functional) PM in very quickly.

9. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

:p I would have just disputed the charge for the one I had cancelled. "What the hell is this doing on my bill? I cancelled it, obviously..."

One of these days, I'm going to be lucky :-(

10. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Well, I got it all boxed up and ready to go. I did keep the Apple stickers though :) I was going to keep the software (Tiger, iLife etc) but decided it would really be wrong to do so, plus the next one will come with it anyway and there is no reason to need two copies of everything.

11. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

They'd probably know about the missing software since they do an inventory check when it comes back in. But I must disagree...there is ALWAYS a reason to have two copies of everything, in fact I can think of two right now ;)

http://www.ebay.com
    http://www.craigslist.org

12. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Yeah, well, I wouldn't feel right about it wether I could get away with it or not. So they went back into the box. Too bad though.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

what did they offer as a replacement? an identical refurb? in the uk you can only get a refund from the failure of a refurb.

14. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

i had a friend who did that, they sent him an email requesting a return of software before they would ship out the replacement and did not pay for shipping though that is understandable from my point of view, they would definetely charge u full price for the software. best to be honest

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

BAD FORM APPLE!

I am so sorry to hear of your trouble.

What a way to burst someone's bubble.

I know I recommended the right machine, but this kinda crap is pathetic.

I know they'll take care of you but dayam :(

16. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

17. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

It is best to be honest, however they are going to send out the machine far before they recieve my old one. They are sending it as soon as fedex scans the package here.

And yes, it will be an identical refurb. I made sure to ask that since I don't want the crappy new one with no PCI-X and only 4gb ram capable instead of 8. That's the whole reason I went with the $1649 refurb as opposed to the $1799 brand new 2ghz with edu discount. I like the old motherboard better.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

this happens, and at a lower % for apple products, at a friends school the dells had a 30% DOA rate.

it was probably damaged in shipping, it's common for the heatsink to crack the die in transit or a hard disk to break, or ram to come slightly out of it's socket so when you turn it on it frys.

19. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Sorry to hear about that, man. It's good that Apple is taking care of it, though.

I bought my eMac refurbished from Apple in December '04 and it's been great. When I ordered it, I ordered a 1.25GHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HD, but when I got it, it had 512MB RAM and a 160GB HD!! That was really cool.

20. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Yeah, I don't know what my DOA one came with, all I know is it had 2 ram chips (which it has to because they are paired) and thats it. I'm hoping that
    since I have to wait maybe I'll get a better vid card or more ram or something. Oh well, I know that regardless I will be happy. I've used dual 1.8s and thought those were fast, so a dual 2ghz should be just as good as soon as I up the ram. The ones I used had 1.5gb ram and mine is shipping with 512.

21. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I've never even used a G5! The only Dual Processor Mac I've used was a Dual 500MHz G4. That was pretty fast, though. I didn't get to use it for very long, but I could tell it was quick. It booted up REALLY fast.

22. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Yeah, on campus we have new G5 iMacs, and in the New Media lab we have 7 Dual 1.8 Power Macs with Ram everywhere from 1gb to 2gb. They work great. They all have 23" Apple displays.

23. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

NICE! Our schools around here all use Windows PCs, as far as I know, which sucks.

24. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Most of the schools around here (k-12) have eMacs and PCs. While the University has the higher end stuff. eMacs are only in the email lounge and a couple in the library along side some PCs. Then the labs get high end PCs and Power Macs and the computer clusters get iMacs. They just replaced the iMac G4s with the G5s though. Makes me wonder what happened to all those sweet G4s they had.

25. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i've setup labs with new dells computer before, and there wasn't a 30% DOA rate.