PM - Dual 2.0 vs Dual 1.8

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hcuar, Mar 4, 2005.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm considering either the dual 2.0 or the dual 1.8 PM. If I bought the dual 2.0 I'd get the Radeon 9600 graphics card. If I bought the dual 1.8, I'd get the top of the line nVidia 6800 card. I figure that makes the dual 1.8 PM $100.00 more expensive than the dual 2.0.

So... my question, which is the better buy? (Assuming all other stats the same 160GB HD, 1GB ram, airport extreme, BT, etc.)

I don't figure on trying to play many games (maybe one in a blue moon). I plan on using my xBox for that (perhaps the PS3 when it comes out).

2. paco taco mike macrumors member

paco taco mike

well generally the 2.0 is only a 10% increase in speed. i just received my dual 1.8 the other day and i am amazed by it's speed. With the extra money (i was in the same situation as you) i purchased an extra gig of ram as well as a 200 gig seagate hard drive. Yes, i do plan on upgrading my video card but i need more money. As for your computer, what are you going to be using it for? If your not planning on playing many games i say go for the dual 1.8 upgrade the ram and hard drive, the video card can wait...maybe until the x800's are back in stock

hope this helps.

-mike

3. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm planning on general use (internet / email / doing my taxes/ listening to iTunes). In the future I might do some minor home video editing and DVD burning. Other than that, I think i'm done with games other than on a console. I can't stand sitting in front of a computer for that long if I'm not working on something.

4. paco taco mike macrumors member

paco taco mike

i say the dual 1.8, i really don't see the 2.0 justifying it's 500 price difference. but that's my opinion, unfortunately no one else is commenting.

it'll be plenty fast for you

-mike

5. Sundance Kid macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

Why are you getting a super expensive, top of the line machine when you're only going to be doing '(internet / email / doing my taxes/ listening to iTunes)'?? Sounds overkill. An iMac would be fine, and I hear they're great for video editing. Buying an iMac would save you tons of money.

my two cents

6. hugotron macrumors newbie

hugotron

Why will you buy such an expensive computer if you plan to use it for Mail, web surfing, iTunes and maybe some light video editing??? Go and buy an eMac, or the cheapest iMac G5, or the Mac Mini. Max out the RAM and you are done... Why a dual processor computer for common tasks???

:eek:

7. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

because that's what hcuar wants.

As for your question... if you rarely play games, I would go for the dual 2.0 with the upgraded graphics card. The one nice thing about having a higher end graphics card is that, in Tiger EVERY pixel will be controlled by the GPU, not the CPU. This way, the CPU doesn't have to do as much work.

This is great; however, the 9600 will run core video (the pixel thing i was just talking about) greatly, and you'll get the benefit of being able to upgrade your ram beyond 4GB in the future. You also get the faster PCI slots, and well... a faster machine.

8. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

;) Thanks! ;) Yup... I'm not wanting an eMac or iMac due to the feable graphics cards. I also want the options to upgrade in the future. I realize the iMac may support some upgrades, but nothing like the PM.

I also have the money to buy the PM. :D

I was thinking the dual 2.0 would be the better choice. I know the Mini isn't going to provide the power I want in a desktop... It's great for my little 12" PB, not my desktop. A second reason against the iMac is the poor graphics card. (Although, I'm not so sure I want to bundle a display with my main desktop anyway).

So it sounds like the dual 2.0 with the ATI 9600 card is the way to go. My only concern is that I HATE ATI card on my PC. I currently have the Radeon 9800 pro 128, and it's drivers suck badly. So... anyone have any issues with the Mac's 9600 card?

9. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

To preface my comment, my company will pay 20 percent of any computer purchase every 3 years.
    Therefore (including taxes):
    The iMac comes out to 2k with all the bells and whistles. The PM with the dual 2.0 comes out to 2400k. So $400.00 adds dual processors, a much faster bus, upgrade slots (PCI-X), ability to add more HD's, etc. You get the picture. $400.00 is chump change for that kind of power (think future usability). I don't plan on buying a new system for 5+ years.

Secondly, I already have a Samsung 191t+ silver LCD to use... therefore the iMacs display isn't too much of a concern.

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Look at my sig and look at yours - almost the same computers - windows. And I want a 12" Pb... like you have one. Same computing tastes!

If I had the money, I would defidantly get the dual 2.0... the processor may not be as fast but in the long run (upgrades, etc.) It will last longer...

I do NOT however reccomend the amazing graphics card JUST YET - wait until the new ones come out...

...as a matter of fact, a new PM revision is due soon and if you can wait, you may be better off...

Upgrade the RAM and get some cool stuff - a dual 2.0 GHz processor G5 and 2 GB ram is an amazing computer...

11. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Spooky... you even have a Samsung LCD!