pm g4 or mac mini

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tedrjr03, Aug 15, 2006.

1. tedrjr03 macrumors regular

tedrjr03

hello, im trying to buy my first mac, but the problem is i only have $300. i already have a monitor and keyboard and mouse. Now my question is which one would be better for me. My needs mainly are itunes and surfing the web. i will also use iphoto but ery very light use. which one could i probally get for $300 and what specs are more realestic for this price.

2. nickelbackmac macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

Once you become a regular, post a feeler in the marketplace, or a "WTB: Mac Mini or PM G4" thread. ;) Just helpin' ya out over here.

3. tedrjr03 thread starter macrumors regular

tedrjr03

thanks for the help=)

any other help would be appreciated

4. tedrjr03 thread starter macrumors regular

tedrjr03

5. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Unfortunately, you cannot do anything else until you become a "macrumors regular" and can post in the Marketplace.

6. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I can tell you one thing, if iTunes and surfing are your only needs, any PowerMac G4 will do, just make sure you equip it with 1GB of RAM (it helps a lot in Mac OS X) I used to have a 450mhz dual G4 with 1GB RAM and it was a charm for just doing basic stuff, now my 733mhz system with 512mb RAM struggles quite a lot but still does quite well. (and the 733mhz was a better performer than the dual 450mhz when it was used in my main machine)

Now you only need to access the marketpalce

7. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

8. zami macrumors regular

Having owned both machines I would say go for the MacMini.

The plus points of the PowerMac G4 are the ability to add extra drives and PCI cards. However I got rid of mine because of the noise which is considerable and now use an Intel MacMini which sits on top of a matching LaCie firewire drive, best thing I ever did and the silence is golden.

Careful with the Quicksilver 733's as they need a special Apple ADC to DVI lead to run generic LCD monitors and do not have "audio in". Audio in can be sorted with the "Griffin iMic". Total cost of these two adaptors is about £50.00 here in the UK.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP.../wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=T2774G/A

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

9. tedrjr03 thread starter macrumors regular

tedrjr03

thannks for the help, but would i need ths connector if my screen is vga?

10. tedrjr03 thread starter macrumors regular

tedrjr03

thanks alot

11. tedrjr03 thread starter macrumors regular

tedrjr03

ok thanks, but i wasnt trying to buy a computer on here right no because i know im not a regular i was just trying to figure out which one would be better for me

12. zami macrumors regular

No, but the screen will look much better if it can be connected by DVI. BTW I am not sure if the G4 MacMini does DVI.