PM G5 1.6/8 vs. G4 Powerbook G4 1.33 - how much faster?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Feb 2, 2005.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

Probably asked and answered, but:
    I have a PB 12 1.33 and am thinking of selling it and buying a refurb PM 1.6/1.8 (depending on availability). I don't travel anymore so the PB is pretty much a desktop these days.
    Since i mostly do office stuff (word, email, web, watch movies) and little/no video/music/3d animation/photoshop, I'm wondering how much difference I will really see - is it worth the hassle (and risk) of selling-buying?
    In trying out a G5 at the apple store it didn't seem like the desktop, "routine" experience (opening, closing files and apps, etc) was all that much faster.
    I am sure the SATA drives will be noticable and that alone could swing the decision.

Opinions?

2. jcru macrumors newbie

I was in a similar boat a few months back. I have a PB 15" 1.25 and wondered what a G5 would do for speed. Well, I saw a pretty good student deal on a G5 dual 2.0 --- so now I have both the G5 and the PB.

For normal routines (opening apps, email, Word, etc...) I don't see much of a difference really. Might as well be on the PB. But of course, I do see the added speed when doing anything requiring it (encoding MP3s, video, opening large photoshop files).

So for nomral use "office" use I'd say the PB is fine, but everyone has their own opinion I suppose.

3. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

thanks - I thnk you are right-and I don't do much if any graphic work - so maybe I'll sit tight for now