Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anders C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
:( Silliness without the laughter

I've been looking to buy a 15" PowerBook for quite some time, but I'm having a bit of trouble. I've read alot of the posts on this forum and still couldn't get anywhere. I do extensive amounts of video editing with final cut and preserving old videos. I started thinking and single laptop for $2000 seemed unreasonable.

My options:
1)PowerBook G4 15" 1.67 GHz (can't wait till update, school starts Sep. 19)
2)PowerMac G5 1.8 GHz SP (closeout) & iBook 12"

I read that there are some bugs with the PM 1.8 GHz SP on Tiger when running QuickTime on Safari. Were there any solutions to that? Were there major problems causing Apple to scrap the 1.8 SP? Any other cons to the PowerMac G5 1.8SP?

Seems like a strange array of choices (I know).
Your advice would be much appreciated.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
If your going to go the Power Mac route, I would go for a dual refurb. It's a waste of money to buy a SP G5, as the speeds won't be all the much faster for video editing. If you want video editing, then go with the dual processors. As benchmarks have shown, the dual processors cut the video compression times in half. Perhaps you could get a dual 1.8 and a iBook.

ajampam

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
rmhop81 said:
just pay $200 more and get the dual 1.8
If you are thinking of the PM way, then get the dual 1.8....but then consider if you need your laptop also for video editing and stuff, then I would personally prefer the 15' PB with more ram....that would give you the functionality you need and also mobilty....but I do understand the expense issue though.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.