PM G5 2.7 eBay: too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dops7107, Jan 13, 2006.

1. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

2. Lau Guest

Yep, it is. Looks to me like a hijacked account. The seller has sold model airplane kits, jeans, CDs and other small items in the past, so it's unusual activity. And the asking to be emailed first is well dodgy.

Also, the photos show the PM G5 in a posh apartment, and the Cinema Screen in a mouldy bed sit, with American/European plug sockets! The photos have probably come from Google.

In other words - avoid like the plague!

3. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    5 Euros to mail it??? That should be a Red Flag right there.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Ask of you can collect it. If they say no it's a scam.

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Anytime you see a MAXED out mac, ram and HD etc, its a scam. No one buys all that and sells it, or at least doesnt jack some of the internal RAM and HD for their next mac.

Total scam.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Here is my fraud checklist any three of the below, probably you don't want to take the chance, 6 or more, call the cops:

Preapproved bidders only (so they can harvest emails and sell to multiple suckers off-ebay),
    "New", high end product,
    No reserve or "Buy it now" far below wholesale value on high end product,
    Non-recoverable payment methods only (wire transfer, Western Union, certified cheque or money order),
    Individual selling multiple "new" products,
    No history of selling this type (hijacked acct), No feedback history of selling this type of product, or long gap between the last feedback and the sudden appearance of expensive new items for sale (hijacked acct), Zero-feedback, cloaked or new account,
    No personal info, Copy and paste graphics and text (as in the only details were copied from Apple's site),
    Missing or absurd location,
    Free shipping and/or shipping from overseas (typical of "offshore supplier/Western Union" type scams)
    Country of location doesn't match account registration country of seller,
    Selling product that is not shipping yet,
    Selling new product only available from authorized dealers,
    Short auction (to sell before EBay responds to complaints),
    Solicits direct contact by email outside of eBay(anonymous, throwaway email account),
    Says not to use the eBay "ask Seller a Question" link because of some problem (sure sign of a hijacked account),
    Clone of another auction from a different seller (same text, graphics and/or offer)
    Seller refuses local pickup offer, or refuses payment by a secure method like escrow, or suggests a non-mainstream escrow service.
    Seller approaches buyers with the offer of additional items ("you didn't win but I have more just like that one")
    Shipping is promised after a delay of some weeks (often the excuse is so the seller can make a bulk order from the manufacturer). Any delays that cause the buyer to wait until the complaint/refund period from PayPal and eBay have expired.

7. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

8. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

9. dops7107 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Fear not, I aint bidding. I thought it was so amazingly ridiculous that it was worth having a laugh at, if nothing else :rolleyes:

10. bartelby macrumors Core

On the photo of the serial number sticker it says 2.5GHz not 2.7

11. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33