Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I know I should run an external speaker setup, but I take my G5 places for presentations and such in small rooms. This wasn't an issue with my G3 B&W or my G4 Quicksilver cased Digital audio. The sound output on those systems was enough to show some video and small presentations without any issue, and the sound quality was quite good when you consider what it was being driven from.

Besides the speaker in the G5 having nowere near the acoustics of a Quicksilver or even B&W, the sound volume is less then HALF of what comes out of the G4 and G3 I have. The sad thing is, the internal speaker in the G5 is almost the exact same size as the B&W's but it has SUCH low volume. Is there a core system hack that I can use to up the volume on this thing? or am I stuck having to drag a small amplified speaker system with me.

Thanks in advance!

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
840quadra said:
I know I should run an external speaker setup, but I take my G5 places for presentations and such in small rooms. This wasn't an issue with my G3 B&W or my G4 Quicksilver cased Digital audio. The sound output on those systems was enough to show some video and small presentations without any issue, and the sound quality was quite good when you consider what it was being driven from.

Besides the speaker in the G5 having nowere near the acoustics of a Quicksilver or even B&W, the sound volume is less then HALF of what comes out of the G4 and G3 I have. The sad thing is, the internal speaker in the G5 is almost the exact same size as the B&W's but it has SUCH low volume. Is there a core system hack that I can use to up the volume on this thing? or am I stuck having to drag a small amplified speaker system with me.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for no replies :( .

I am working on an amplified (shielded) internal speaker system (stereo) to install inside my G5. I have a test setup that WORKED, I am now finishing up on the build for a mounting system for this..

My goal is to have it so I can remove the system if I ever need to send my apple in for Apple care repair.

The Sound is GREAT so far :)

Sometimes you need to take things into your own hands.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
840quadra said:
Thanks for no replies :( .

I am working on an amplified (shielded) internal speaker system (stereo) to install inside my G5. I have a test setup that WORKED, I am now finishing up on the build for a mounting system for this..

My goal is to have it so I can remove the system if I ever need to send my apple in for Apple care repair.

The Sound is GREAT so far :)

Sometimes you need to take things into your own hands.

When you have completed your project, could you post your method with some pics? It would be interesting to see what you've done!!

aussie_geek

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
aussie_geek said:
When you have completed your project, could you post your method with some pics? It would be interesting to see what you've done!!

aussie_geek

Sure thing. I have my Digicam out on loan currently, and when I get it back (and things are clean, I will post up pictures.

840quadra

Original poster
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
CanadaRAM said:
USB connected, USB powered, good enough for a small room, fairly pleasing sound on Internet Radio, good highs, adequate lows.

http://www.trittonsales.com/products/TRIUA201.htm

Thanks for the info.

I was trying to avoid that, because with my extra stuff (keyboard, mouse, and monitor / projector) it is just one more thing to carry.

I know it is petty, but the less I have to lug around, get lost, drop, or break, the better. :), Besides I like my little DIY project. And since I did something similar in my Quadra, this was a piece of cake, considering how much extra space is in a G5 (making sure to avoid blocking G5 cooling fans :) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.