PM G5 rev. B at 3 Ghz

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jsnuff1, Feb 13, 2004.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Ok i know a jump of 1 Ghz in one revision is unheard of, but before you flame me hear out my logic. We all know that Mr. Jobs stated that PM would reach 3 Ghz "by this time next year." This would place an annoucement of 3 ghz PM at the latest by the end of this June. That gives us about 4 months untill then. Now even if apple announced a PM at around 2.5 Ghz next week(which probably wont ship untill next month, using info from xserve ship dates), it would not make sense for them to then announce a speedbumped version of 3 ghz just 3 months after the 2.5ghz systems ship.

So im guessing that the next update to the PM has to be a 3ghz updates, now when this will happen is another question. We now know that IBM is ramping up production of 2.5ghz G5's, but that dosent necassarly mean that that is the highest clocked g5's they are producing. I wouldnt be suprised if they are producing 3ghz chips as we speak but in lower yeilds. So apple will either announced updates PM's next week at 3ghz...with the 2 lower modles shipping in a month and the 3ghz system shipping some time after that, or they will wait untill IBM has enough 3ghz chips to make that annoucment, which would peg that at around the time xserve's ships next month, so 2 lower modles avaliable immediatly and 3ghz shipping in a few weeks.

Hence fulfilling Mr. Job's prophecy :D

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I think he said 'by the end of next year'. But they'll most definetly release 2.5's next, not 3.0s. Why? Because it's only February. And there have been no rumors of a stockpile of 3Ghzs. I'd say it'll be well into or past August before 3Ghzs.

3. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

4. Opteron macrumors 6502

They had the world's eye on them at Mac World, and they did NOTHING but annonce the release of the iPod Mini.

They had an oppertunity to set the world standard and they missed it

When will the next revision of the G5 be released, if you want to know buy a rulette wheel:D.

5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I've already announced many times that Apple has missed many opportunities to make a big splash on the computing world with new updates, etc. I also have announced my anger at this. I'll say it again, unless Apple announces an update to their consumer line we will see a monumental first quarter loss for Apple.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree this qtrs numbers for consumer macs is going to rot, heck they are selling as many Protower g5s as Imac/Emac combined last qtr. 206,000 pros vs 220,000 Imac/emac. with consumers outnumbering the professionals by 100 -1 it just shows how Apple's consumer models(IMAC) dont get it. Old technology is old technology. G4 is 5 years for petes sake.
    as far as 3 GHZ anytime soon i think you have been listening to neatgekko to much. Ibm has been talking up to 2.5 ghz on the 970fx this is what we will see soon.
    Steve has said a lot of crap that doesnt pan out so dont take his comment as gospel. maybe 3.0 before christmas.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

All he really has to do to prevent a lawsuit on failing to deliver on the promise is offer a short run of Macs at 3GHz, at a ridiculous price.