PM G5 REV B Optical Drive problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Devie, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Devie macrumors 6502a

A mates Powermac G5 Dual 2GHz REV B's optical drive (Pioneer Superdrive) is screwing up. Unable to read discs at times and unable to complete burns. It is out of warranty.

So what are the model optical drives that the PM uses? He wishes to replace it himself.

Cheers

2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Ah. Thanks. That friend would be me. I also want to know if a lacie lightscribe internal burner would be compatible...
    Thanks

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it should be quite compatible. it might be worth looking into cheaper lightscribe burners' compatibility though, as i got a benq one for half the price of a lacie (for my pc though)

4. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Thanks HJW.

I hope someone knows some more burners that work.... BUMP...
    :)

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Pioneer Burners are best. the DVR-108 and DVR-109 are best for compatibility, price, and performance. If you are on Tiger both will work perfectly, if on Panther check out Patchburn for iTunes/iDVD support.

The patchburn websites says:

So I bet any drive you buy will not give you any problems.

Side Note:
    The only problem with generic lightscribe burners is there is no software on the mac side of things that supports the lightscribe aspect except LaCie's software which only supports LaCie drives.

If you really need to know the exact drive in current G5's it is the "PIONEER DVR-117D" which is just a re-branded OEM DVR-109.

6. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Thanks CFC...
    I had a look at that burner you are talking about a little while back, but got turned off with that patchburn thing, and the fact it's not entirely supported... But as I have tiger. I am now seriously considering it :)