pm i got from some upset mac user...

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Mar 3, 2003.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

(this guy started it by telling me macs sux over and over again. i was like... "este vato" )

when i was talking to this person about giving me specific reasons what he has against macs.... he told me this...

OK I'm going to list my MAC dislike , that with OS 9.0.
    I'm sorry if you all say MAX OS X blows it away, wow! MAC only are good since last year?

1. Stupid filename, they have NONE! This sucks so much, 1 jpeg image can open with quicktime while the other opens with photoshop, ah.. the annoyance...

2. They multitask very badly. Best example is that I was installing an app and wanted to go change the mp3 playing in winamp, well I could'nt, I'm freaking stuck watching the progess bar going all the way...

3. They crash alot

4. When another MAC crash on the appletalk network, my computer freezes and wake up 1 minute later or when the original computer froze get back in Mac OS. Whichever comes first.

5. My G4 have 256 MB of ram and I always get not enough memory error in photoshop, nothing I have to worry about in windows.

6. Macs are expensive.

And finally theres so few hardware to select from on MAC, and theres less games to enjoy on it.

Well here are my points. See that I'm not just saying MAC SUCKS in the air with no reasons
    Maybe I should say MAC SUCKS FOR me, if you like your junk , like it
    Cause I actually very much enjoy my pre-release windows XP copy I have on my PC that has been running trouble free for over 8 months. Either using 3d studio max or various computer intensive applications.

what would you all say to this?

just gauging responses thats all. dont bust my chops.

2. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Well, he needs to get current. In my opinion, Macs very well did suck in the OS 9 and earlier days (my saving grace for liking OS 9 was TypeStyler). OS X has been great, though it is a processor and memory hog.

He's right about the games (c'mon, he is, you know it), but his position seems too biased to be reasoned with.

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Re: pm i got from some upset mac user...

1. Stupid filename, they have NONE! This sucks so much, 1 jpeg image can open with quicktime while the other opens with photoshop, ah.. the annoyance...

R: True, it suck*:mad:

2. They multitask very badly. Best example is that I was installing an app and wanted to go change the mp3 playing in winamp, well I could'nt, I'm freaking stuck watching the progess bar going all the way...

R: ¿?

3. They crash alot

R: Yep, PC's too

4. When another MAC crash on the appletalk network, my computer freezes and wake up 1 minute later or when the original computer froze get back in Mac OS. Whichever comes first.

R: Not in my networks.

5. My G4 have 256 MB of ram and I always get not enough memory error in photoshop, nothing I have to worry about in windows.

R: I work with After Effects and Photoshop in a G3 500 MHz Powerbook, the problem is you, not the computer.

6. Macs are expensive.

R: Yep, and can be sold used in a very good price too.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

First off, fyter, you said it's a PM, thus, something private. Well, I would like to inform you now that this is no longer a private matter. :)

Second, if this guy only bases his "rants" on OS 9 AND makes false accusations about Macs in general, then send this PC zealot a kind notice written so:

"If you, [name], are going to continue to discuss negatives about Macs and Apple without reason, do not message me again."

Now, for the material :rolleyes:

>I'm sorry if you all say MAX OS X blows it away, wow! MAC only are good since last year?

Macintosh computers have always been useful for a long while, just like PCs, for their respective strengths. I cannot define one point in time, where the Mac or the PC had an advantage over the other in everything. PCs are fast for gaming, and Macs are fast for visual computations and graphics.

>1. Stupid filename, they have NONE! This sucks so much, 1 jpeg image can open with quicktime while the other opens with photoshop, ah.. the annoyance...

If you save the image through Photoshop, this is the default. You can fix that by dragging the pic into Quicktime.

>2. They multitask very badly. Best example is that I was installing an app and wanted to go change the mp3 playing in winamp, well I could'nt, I'm freaking stuck watching the progess bar going all the way...

Well, why are you using Winamp? If this is a problem for you, use iTunes. I have been using iTunes since version 1.1 for OS 9.

>3. They crash alot

No, they do not. They crash if you install a lot of nonsense software Apple does not and will not support it, or if the software is in beta/alpha mode, period.

>4. When another MAC crash on the appletalk network, my computer freezes and wake up 1 minute later or when the original computer froze get back in Mac OS. Whichever comes first.

What are you doing to make your computer crash? Unless you have incompatibilities or have issues as described in (4), this should not happen. Also, do you refresh your computer enough?

>5. My G4 have 256 MB of ram and I always get not enough memory error in photoshop, nothing I have to worry about in windows.

Are you using memory intense applications in Windows as well as Photoshop? Do you have virtual memory running? Also, have you tried using RAM Doubler?

>6. Macs are expensive.

In short term, this is true. But this is not true in the long run. Recent articles have shown that with all the problems and mechanical issues and with the coinciding costs of each for Macs and PC, much more on the PC side, you will end up paying more to have your paid PC constantly repaired, rather than have to buy a Mac and spend less for repairs.

>And finally theres so few hardware to select from on MAC, and theres less games to enjoy on it.

True. But this is not the fault of the Macintosh. If people do not support Macintosh, then there will be less hardware and software for the Macintosh. The same goes for games.

>Well here are my points. See that I'm not just saying MAC SUCKS in the air with no reasons

I am afraid you are. It is possible you had a negative experience with a Macintosh and you may feel that way. But you only made, if you wish to call them, these "points" in regard to OS 9. Yes, OS 9 is not as stable or as open to options as Jaguar, but you are discussing an old operating system. I am afraid that making these "points" today and now will not be considered greatly in an agreeable motive by anyone, except any individual you come to and expresses similar views against the Mac without any legit. reasons.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: pm i got from some upset mac user...

>That's your problem. Photoshop is absolutely horrible on my windows machine...with dual xeon processors and a ton of RAM.

6. Macs are expensive.
    >They're durable and they last a long time. I would rather pay more to get a mac that won't break than to buy a cheap $400 Dell that breaks every ten seconds.

And finally theres so few hardware to select from on MAC, and theres less games to enjoy on it.
    >Well yeah. Macs weren't built with gaming in mind but the games that are available are great!

Cause I actually very much enjoy my pre-release windows XP copy I have on my PC that has been running trouble free for over 8 months. Either using 3d studio max or various computer intensive applications.
    >pre-release copy of windows xp! you wanna know the number of bugs in the prerelease copy-mine crashed EVERY SINGLE DAY AND ERASED MANY OF MY HARD DRIVES MULTIPLE TIMES and i have been using windows since win 3.1 so i know my way around windows very well! Well if you can't afford to buy a real copy of Windows XP then i guess the Mac ain't for you. trouble free eh? guess what windows xp is really crappy software.
    Wait.... You can afford Photoshop, 3D Studio Max and other "computer intensive" applications but you can't afford to buy a mac? You are insane, man, totally insane.

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: pm i got from some upset mac user...

lol. participated in the windows XP beta program as well, and it was pretty stable. it never erased my hard drives. at all. and i left it on all day every day with minimal restarts.

however, there is a point here. it can't be legal to still have a pre-release version of XP, let alone his illegal copies of 3DS Max and photoshop. it's funny to steal software and then bitch about it, lol--especially to someone you can't trust :rolleyes:

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Re: Re: pm i got from some upset mac user...

lucky you. the beta version of windows xp totally f*cked up one of my PC's...mmm wait i thought that beta software was time-limited...hmmm.

8. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

He's running 9. You only get photoshop out of memory errors there, and the AppleTalk problems he described only happen there. What an idiot.