Poached Eggs... how do you cook yours?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dcv, Jan 20, 2006.

1. dcv macrumors G3

I very rarely eat poached eggs, because I can't be bothered to make them. I don't have any form of 'poacher' so rely on the traditional pan method... where you add a few drops of vinegar to the water and stir it up to make a whirlpool, then break the egg into it. This result is usually somewhere between 'shapeless lump but edible' and 'disgustingly stringy fallen-apart bits and totally inedible'.

Well this morning I had a *brainwave* (no, not to go out an actually buy a poaching device)... why not break the egg into a ladle and cook it over the water and gently lower it in? The result was a perfectly poached egg and it even had a nice shape to it. Why didn't I think of this before?!!

I was so impressed with myself I had to tell you all about it :) :D

(guess what's for breakfast tomorrow)

So how do you cook yours?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

With a pan designed to poach eggs in...;)

[​IMG]

But I prefer scrambled eggs with Haloumi cheese.

3. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

Ahhh but that's cheating :p

I have a tiny kitchen and no room for all these gadgets!

Mmmm I like the sound of scrambled eggs with Halloumi... cheers for the idea.

4. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Now, I haven't tried this but it makes sense to me and is meant to be the best way to poach perfect eggs:

http://www.b3ta.com/features/howtopoachanegg/

Look at the bottom one with the clingfilm. The results look good. Let me know how it goes... :)

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The whirlpool method is how I've done them in the past... I got pretty good at getting the egg to stay in a fairly circular shape, but it's pretty hard to do. If I was going to start poaching eggs again on a regular basis, I'd cheat and get an egg poacher thingamabob.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

If you slice the cheess (about 5mm thick) then fry it in a little oil until golden brown. Then make soft scrambled eggs and some toast. Put the sliced cheese on the toast and the eggs on top. Mmmmm Yummy.

The poaching pan I have doubles as a frying pan too, with a sort of lid for the poaching bit.

7. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

Oooh clever!

Great article... this looks all too familiar:
    [​IMG]
    "Mummy. Please don't make me eat the seagull poo." :D

8. bartelby macrumors Core

I used to do it using a whirlpool, but the poaching pan is so much easier.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm a complete mess in the kitchen... so I'll just crack an egg into a bowl of water and microwave it. :eek: Please don't hate me!

10. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I like mine soft boiled - sorta like poached. Get the water boiling then put the eggs in for 5 minutes. Easy :D

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Whirlpool in a very deep pan - shallow pans are guaranteed to make a mess if you try the 'whirl' method. Also check for enough vinegar in the water.

I tried a poaching pan but wasn't very happy with results - felt more like a griddled egg than a poached one...

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I used to use a little microwave container "designed" to cook poached eggs.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

14. mpw Guest

Is that an offer?:D, surprise me.

Loved the egg b3ta article, will try the cling-film method for breakfast tomorrow(unless DCV comes good with her offer). Only problem I have with it is that it looks a little too condommy for the kitchen!

If we're going to talk eggs how do people scramble? I know a guy who cracks his into a cup and then cooks it with steam from his cappuccino machine. (?)

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

With a poacher of course!!! 7 minutes, poached egg perfection :D Although I must say your new fangled method was a stroke of genius! ;)

hmmm, now I'm hungry...

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Um....they come from poached chickens?:eek:
    Edit: Okay, for the literalists, we'll blow his cover...

Attached Files:

17. mpw Guest

That chicken's got big ears! and don't try poaching the little chocolate eggs it lays!

18. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Ahh :) That fox with half a face is resting on the soft sleeping wunny babbit.

19. Lau Guest

I just crack it gently into the water, like Delia tells me to. :eek:

20. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

:eek: Sorry that was not an offer!!

In fact I might need someone to make ME breakfast tomorrow... think I might be too hung over... ;)

The old-fashioned way with a pan.

Hmmm, cappuccino machine idea... so the next person ordering an actual cappuccino gets eggy bits in theirs? Nice. :barf:

21. mpw Guest

:(

Oo oo oo *waving hand in air*

Somehow it didn't seem to? He was the coffee shop owner too.

22. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I've been meaning to post a similar thread although it's a slightly different question but I might as well ask here.

Please, someone explain to me the science of boiling a perfect egg. The yolk has to be slightly hard but mostly runny. No runny white bit.

Every time I make eggs, they're either rock hard or when you cut through the shell it spills out all over the place. I think I need an egg timer. :p I try and cook fresh stuff most of the time but eggs ... BAH. :mad:

Next week, The perfect cup of tea. :p

23. Lau Guest

Ooh, yeah, I totally agree. I like scrambled eggs, omlettes, etc, but I'm really (uncharacteristically) picky about egg cooking methods that involve the white and the yolk separate. I would say the yolk has to be runny, but hot, and the white firm. A firm yolk grosses me out, but a runny white makes me feel quite ill. I've never really managed it with boiled aggs, and the disappointment is just too much to bear when it turns out all wrong. :eek: I prefer scrambled eggs anyway.

I think my mum has some kind of method, so I'll ask her next time I speak to her. It's something to do with putting in the egg when the water's cold, bringing it to the boil, then timing it for 3 minutes, or 5 minutes, or something, then eating it straight away.

24. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You need one of these egg timers. Put it in the pot with your eggs and wait til the indicator gets to Soft, Medium, Hard boiled ;)

Alternatively, put the egg in cold water, turn the heat up high, wait til the water comes to the boil and then time 4 minutes for a slightly runny yolk. Oh yes, and don't keep the eggs in the fridge or the timings go all to pot.

25. mpw Guest

There's actually an official British Standard for making tea.